ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 8

Published 4/27/20

Annalise/Ann's POV

I make my way to the kitchen. The kitchen wasn't as busy as it was this morning. I notice a man sitting at the table, wearing a black jacket with black pants. I see his sword right next to him. He must be a knight, I thought to myself.

Agnola notices me, "Ann, are you hungry? I noticed you did not have time to eat this morning. Sit, I will get you something." I take a seat next to the knight. Once seated, he introduces himself immediately. "Sono Matteo, you are?"

"I am Ann, I am His Majesty's new chambermaid." Angola places a plate of food in front of me. I mutter a 'grazie,' (thank you) with a smile. "The king's new chambermaid? Well, I am not surprised he kept you, especially a pretty one," he flashes me a flirty smile.

"What do you mean by that?" I ask curiously. "Well, the king has never had a chambermaid. He only had Lorenzo, and some servants were only allowed in his room for cleaning." I watch as his eyes scan me up and down.

"I can certainly see why he chose you. Yo-" Suddenly, Angola cuts him off, "Matteo, I do not want you to finish that sentence! We do not know the reason why he chose her and it's not our place to figure it out." She scolded.

He mumbled under his breath and announced that he was going to practice his sword fighting. "Never you mind him, my child. He always as his brain in the gutter. Now, finish your food." I did as she said and thanked her.

I explored some more around the castle. I found a corridor off the kitchen that led out into the gardens. The garden was absolutely huge! I start to walk down the long walkway into the middle of the gardens with hedge boxes filled with different type of plants. I walk down further to see a beautiful fountain and an entrance to the maze I saw from the library window.

I start to walk to it, but my footsteps stop at the call of my name. "Ann," I turn to see Agnesia with a woven basket full of linen and fabrics. "You mustn't enter the maze. You can get lost in there." She warns me. "Vieni(come), help me with the laundry, won't you?" She walks away and I follow suit.

"What are you doing out here? Aren't you suppose to be with the king?" 

"Yes, but he relieved me of my duties at the moment. I am not needed." I answer her. 

I notice we are in a different part of the garden now. I hear the clashing of metal swords and see two knights practicing. One knight was Matteo. We stop to watch them.

Matteo notices us and flashes a quick smile. His opponent was the Francesco. He watches Matteo with calculating eyes, trying to find an opening. He notices Matteo is distracted and goes in for an attack. "Matteo! Look-" I try to warn him, but it was too late. Francesco cuts Matteo's bicep. Matteo yelps and drops his sword. He covers his wounds with his hand.

"Never take your eyes off of your opponent, ragazzo! (boy!)" Francesco glances toward us, "even with distractions." He commands Agnesia and me to continue on our way. We walk over to an area with big water bowls and scrubbing boards. There were a few other servants there working. When they notice me, a look of displeasure appears on their face.

"So you're the new ragazza (girl) that the king hired." One of them says. Another chimes in, "She's small. I thought the king liked his women with more...goods." She mocks. The other laughs at the insult. 

"Sta'zitto! (Shut up!) It is not our place to discuss or speculate the women that the king has had. He will have your head if he heard you talking like this! Continue with your work!" Agnesia scolds them. They roll their eyes and talk amongst themselves.

I help Agnesia with the laundry, but I couldn't help but overhear what the others were whispering. "I heard that the king has been receiving letters from Princess Ayla of Hungary."

"Really? How did you hear about it?"

"I have my ways." They both laugh hysterically. Once done with the laundry, all head back into the kitchen for dinner. I was ordered to set up the dining hall table for his Majesty, then come back to fetch his dinner. I make my way to the large great hall.

Once I'm there, I see other servants lighting the candles and tidy up the fire hearth. I begin to set up the king's place with a plate, place mat, chalice, and silverware. I make my way back into the kitchen to grab the king's meal. This meal comprised of chicken with a dried plum sauce.

I walk into the great hall and I already see the king already seated, waiting for his meal. I place it in front of him and step back against the wall like the others. A servant was about to pour wine into the chalice, but was stopped.

"Let Ann do that," the king announces. The servant bowed and handed me the bottle. I pour his wine, careful not to spill it. After, I set the bottle of wine on the table and was about to go back to stand against the wall. "Stop. You will stand by me during my meals. Do you understand?" He asked while taking a sip of his wine. I say 'sí (yes)' and took my place next to him for the rest of the meal.

𝔈𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔣 𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 8

𝒩𝑜𝓉𝑒: How was Chapter 8? Hope it was to your liking! Please don't be a silent reader! Your feedback would be greatly appreciated! See you next Monday!