ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 25

Published 12/14/20

Annalise/Ann's POV

We continued to walk through the courtyard. The flower is still placed behind my ear. I could feel it loosen with each soft breeze. My thoughts drifted of Luca moments ago when he wore the raged expression upon his face. His furrowed eyebrows; his jaw clenching tightly; his eyes growing darker, like he wanted to kill his friend where he stood. Then I thought of Ayla. That mischievousness look as she peered upon us. What game is she playing at?

I understand that she wants to become queen and Luca's wife, but what do I, a mere servant, have to do with that? I am not close to the king in any way that some might think. My thoughts are broken when I hear the sound of clashing metal. We were at the knights combat yard. I see Francesco and other knights practicing combat with swords and other weapons. They notice the king and his guests and immediately stop and bow before them. Luca dismisses them and they all quickly leave.

"Care for a little friendly competition, Luca?" Marco asks while taking off his outer garb to reveal his tunic underneath.

Luca cocks an eyebrow up with a smirk and extends his arm toward the center of the yard. He also takes off his robe. They both walk to the center. Ayla interjects, "Whoever wins, may have my kerchief," she pulls her kerchief and waves it.

Francesco walks over to the king to hand him a sword and Matteo walks over to Marco to hand him the other. When it was clear, they both hold their swords in front of their bodies. They carefully watch the other with calculating eyes. Wondering who will make the first move.

Matteo walks over and stands next to me. "How is the philandering prince?" He asks. "He has not tried anything, has he?" Matteo looks at me with an intense gaze. I know he is serious about piercing him through if Marco had taken advantage of me in that way. Seeing his intense expression, I decide to joke with him.

"He has," I cruelly joke, trying not to smile. Matteo's eyes grew wide. "Really?!" He exclaims, making Princess Ayla shush him. "Ann, please tell me you are joking!"

A smile forms on my face and I softly giggle. Matteo lets out a breath of relief and then scoffs. "You bloody idiot!'' He lightly chuckles then nudges me with his arm.

 "You bloody idiot!'' He lightly chuckles then nudges me with his arm

We focus back on the fight. Luca managed to block all of Marco's moves and cut his arms deep enough to draw blood. Marco's tunic was cut all along the sleeves with red soaked into the fabric. Luca slowly circled Marco with dark eyes. I could tell Marco was afraid by his frantic movements and the beads the sweat forming on his face.

Marco growing impatient with Luca's predator-like movements, he lunges at Luca. Luca blocks the sword and moves his wrist in a quick circular motion that makes Marco lose his sword. Luca points the tip closely at Marco's throat. A mere few inches away. Marco stares at Luca with heavy breathing.

 Marco stares at Luca with heavy breathing