ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 23

Published 11/29/20

Annalise/Ann's POV

We rode in silence to the castle. I sat in front of Luca with his arms enclosing me. My legs hung over one side of the horse. My back leaning into the crook of his shoulder and my head laying in the crook of his neck.

 My back leaning into the crook of his shoulder and my head laying in the crook of his neck

At the movement of the horse, I feel my eyes become heavy. When I was being held captive, I did not sleep a wink. The men groaning in pain and the guards roaming about kept me up. I let myself drift to sleep, finally feeling safe.

The jolt of the horse stopping woke me up from my sleep. Luca dismounts his horse and helps me down. He does not look at me. "Th-" Luca cuts me off by summoning a servant. "Make sure my horse gets fed and has plenty to drink." The servant nods and leads the horse away. Luca walks off, leaving me behind. I stare as he walks away with furrowed brows. What is the matter with him?

Suddenly I feel arms wrap around me from behind."Ann! Thank goodness you're alright!" Agnesia squeals. I turn around to see Agnola running toward us with a smile etched on her face. She cups my cheek with her hand. "Sei a casa! Grazie al cielo! (You are home! Thank heavens!)" They lead me into the kitchen where I am greeted by the servants welcoming me back home.

Catching up with what has happened the past couple days, I find out that Princess Ayla is here again; trying more than ever to sink her claws into the king.

"He does not seem taken with her. Why can't she see that her ways are in vain?" Agnesia says while stuffing a piece of bread in her mouth.

"She's a self-absorbed princess. She believes she is entitled to everything, even His Highness. But It would be nice to see him settle down and produce an heir for the future of this kingdom."

Agnesia nods her head in agreement. As time passes by, we bid our goodnights to each other.

It has been a few weeks since my return to castle and Luca has been cold toward me. Perhaps he feels different about me then the way he did before. I feel stupid to think that I, a servant, can foster a friendship with the king. I stood in my place in the study while the king is at his desk.

After weeks of complete silence other than the commands he orders, he speaks my name. "Ann,"He looks up at me. I feel hopeful that we might start to go back to way the things were before. He looks down at his papers again. "I will not need you. You will be Marco's servant while he is visiting."

I feel my heart drop into my stomach

I feel my heart drop into my stomach. I stare at him in disbelief. My mind thinks back to when he last visited the castle. The maid servant in the halls looking disheveled. "You may go now." My feet carry me out of the study. What did I do to deserve this?

Later on in the day, Marco arrives. Luca greets him as always and so does Princess Ayla. Marco places a kiss upon her hand, and her cheeks become flush.

"Well, you must be hungry from your long journey. Join us for dinner once you get settled. Ann will show you to your room and she will be available for anything you need." Luca gestures to me. Marco looks stunned for a minute that king would share his personal servant.

Marco waltzes over to me. "My, my, what did I do to deserve you?" Even though my head is down, I can feel his eyes roam about my body. I feel disgusted. "Your Highness, if you would please kindly follow me." I say in a small voice. "Please lead the way." He says eagerly  while gesturing his arm outward.

Why is this happening to me?

𝔈𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔣 𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 23

𝒩𝑜𝓉𝑒: How was Chapter 23? Hopefully you enjoyed it! Why do you think that Luca is being cold toward Ann? Would love to hear your thoughts. Please don't forget to vote and comment! I would really appreciate it! See ya next time! :)