ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 21

Published 9/17/20

Luca's POV

Since that late night in the ballroom, I cannot seem to get Ann out of my head. Every time she is near, I cannot compose myself. When I dismiss her, she still occupies my thoughts. I shake my head, trying to focus on my work. But my thoughts betray me when they drift to her. I drop my quill and put my head in my hands.

I groan,"Do you know what you are doing to me, la mia luce (my light)?"

I lift my head up when I hear the door of my study open. Francesco walks in. "Your Majesty, Princess Ayla has arrived and might I add she seems...distressed." She dare visit with no invitation?!

I sigh and leave my study with Francesco. When I arrive to the entrance halls I see Ayla pacing back and forth and her servant trying to calm her down.

I clear my throat to get their attention. Ayla stops pacing and her servant steps back with her head bowed. Ayla looks at me, her face visibly distressed and pale. She walks up to me and grabs my hands tightly. Her voice quavered as she spoke.

"I was on my way here and-" she closed her eyes and took a breath, trying control her voice. She continued, "and I was attacked by brigands. I barely escaped!" Tears brimmed her eyes as she continues to tell me what happened.

I commanded a servant to take her to a room for her to rest from her terrifying journey. "Get some rest and I will see you at dinner." With that, she was led to her room.

Later that evening, I was joined by Ayla for dinner. I noticed Ann was not by me. Where is she? Normally, she is never late. She is always punctual. I beckon a servant over.

"Where is Annalise?" I whispered.

"I do not know sir. None has seen her today." He replied. I leaned back in my chair and dismissed the servant. After a few moments of my silent thoughts, Ayla must have noticed my furrowed expression.

"Whatever is the matter?" She asked.

I slightly lifted my eyebrows with my mouth slightly ajar. I shook my head, "Nothing you need to concern yourself with." She gave me a quizzical look but went back to eating her dinner.

Suddenly, the doors burst open. Agnola comes running in with a frantic expression upon her face. She kneels before me, her hands clutching my robes.

"They have not come back! I fear something has happened!" Agnola exclaimed, tears running down her face.

I furrowed by brows with confusion. Guards rush over to pry her off but I halt them with my hand. "Who has not come back?" I ask her in a gentle tone that could muster. Agnola was a loyal servant to family and still is. She was a great comfort to me when I lost my parents years ago.

"Agnesia and Ann. I sent them to the market to get some ingredients, but that was hours ago."

I felt my blood boil. They left without any protection. Normally I would not care this much but it was Ann that could be in danger.

" I saw Annalise in the market square on my journey here with a boy. He seemed very taken with her and she him. Perhaps she met this boy and wanted to spend time with her new lover." Ayla says while sipping her wine.

Ann having a secret relationship with a commoner? I felt my anger boil over when I started to imagine her time with this

Ann having a secret relationship with a commoner? I felt my anger boil over when I started to imagine her time with this...boy. My fists were balled and I was shaking with anger.

"What are we to do my lord?" Agnola asked which interrupted my angry thoughts. I told her of my plan to ride out with my men early morn in search of the girls. She agreed and I dismissed her and everyone in the room. Once the room was empty, it was only my thoughts and I. My rage consumed me at the thoughts my mind conjured up.

Annalise/Ann's POV

Agnesia and I were shoved in a cold and damp cell. The cell reeked of dirt and moldy hay. Prisoners were staring at us with lecherous eyes. Agnesia and I huddled in the back of the cell, shivering from the dampness the cell provided.

"Ann, I will not leave you here."

"You must. You have to tell the king."

Agnesia gave me a saddened look. I know she does not want to leave me here but they gave her no choice. If she were to disobey, they will surely kill her and the chances of getting out of here will die with her. She is my only hope of getting out of here.

We sat in silence as the hours crawled by. I slowly feel my eyes become heavy with sleep.

I was abruptly awoken by the cell door slamming open. Men rushed into the cell and grabbed Agnesia.

"No! Let me go! Annalise!" She screamed.

"Do not worry about me. I'll see you again soon." I exclaimed. Agnesia continued to scream until she was muffled by the slamming of the prison door. Eventually, I couldn't hear her screams anymore.

"You are not getting out of her, girly. You best get comfortable." A prisoner mocked.

"If you get lonely, I could come keep you company." Another said and the whole prison was in an uproar of laughter.

I huffed at their comments and sat back down in the back of the cell. I pulled my knees to my chest and rest my head on them. I pray Agnesia makes it back to the castle.

𝔈𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔣 𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 21

𝒩𝑜𝓉𝑒: Hi! I'm back! Sorry for the hiatus! How was chapter 21? What do you think will happen next? Honestly Ayla is getting on my nerves haha! Anyway, your votes and comments are greatly appreciated! See you next time! :)