ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 13

Published 6/1/20

Annalise/Ann's POV

As a few days pass, I can't help but replay the words that His Majesty said to me that night in the library.

"What are you doing to me?"

What on earth could he mean? I am his servant. What affect could a servant have on a King? He is certainly a strange man.

I shake my head to get rid of those thoughts. I continue to grab the laundry from the line.

Once done, I notice one shirt does not belong to His Majesty. It must belong to the Prince of Aragon, Marco. I roll my eyes. I am going to have to return it to him.

After grabbing and folding the rest of the laundry, I make my way to the guest wing. Upon entering the wing, I see the wing is differs from His Majesty's. This wing was bright, but not overly bright. Along the walls were portraits of past rulers of Italy.

Suddenly, laughter erupted in the hall. I see one of the servant girls round the corner. Her hair was tousled, thin wisps of hair framing her face. Her clothes were disheveled, leaving her shoulders bare. She looks at me with a smirk, then continues on her way.

I arrive at Marco's door and softly knock. "Enter!" Marco calls out. I enter his room to him sitting in his bed with his torso exposed and his lower half covered by the blankets. I am so grateful for the blanket. The room was a mess, with clothes everywhere, and the room felt hot. I instantly knew what the servant and him were up to in this room.

I become uneasy. His entire presence makes me uncomfortable.

"Ann! What can I do for you?" He says while flashing me a smile. I try hard not to show my disgust on my face.

"Forgive me, Your Grace, but does this shirt belong to you?" I grab the shirt out of the basket.

"Yes, it does. Thank you," he gets out of bed and I Immediately look away, not wanting to see his bare appearance. I honestly did not know if he was bare, but I didn't want to take that chance. He grabs the shirt out of my grasp and puts it on.

I curtsy and quickly reach for the door handle.

"Ann, how did you know that this shirt belonged to me? It could have belonged to a servant or the King."

"The material is too fine for servants and the King doesn't like tunic shirts with ruffles. "

He nods and smiles. "Do you dress the king? Is that how you know what he likes?"

I shake my head, "No, that is the Master of the Wardrobe's job. I am the King's chambermaid. I am with the king all day long. I suppose I know him better than any of the other servants here."

He nods again and dismisses me. I curtsy again and walk out of the room. What an odd conversation.

Now it is later in the evening, time to serve dinner. Angola and the kitchen servants were frantically rushing around the kitchen like always.

Once they were done, the servers, including me, put the meal on a tray and ascended the stairs to the great hall.

We placed the meal in front of the King and Marco and then we took our usual places in the great hall. I hear His Majesty and Marco make conversation. I tune the conversation out, not wanting to hear it.

Later in the conversation, Marco asks about Princess Ayla. My interest is peaked. I remember the girls were taking about how His Majesty has gotten letters from her.

"Have you received any word from Ayla?"

"Yes."

"And did you respond?"

"No. I've been busy running a kingdom. I have no time for people who wish to gain status by seeking association they deem worthy or for personal gain."

"Well, you seemed rather taken with her the last time I saw you two together. Do keep in mind you need a Queen and an heir. She may be a suitable candidate. She comes from an excellent family that is certainly not barren."

"That was before I knew that you and her were together. I do not wish to get your seconds, Marco."

"She and I were never together, except that one time. But never-mind that, perhaps you need a reminder. We shall have a party and invite her, of course. "

Before the King could object, Marco was already planning it.

"It shall be on the Eleventh of May. Yes, you, my friend, shall be reminded of Princess Ayla's beauty and her fondness for you. I believe by the end of that night, you will be completely in love with her. "

𝔈𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔣 𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 13

𝒯𝓇𝒶𝓃𝓈𝓁𝒶𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃𝓈(𝒪𝓇𝒹𝑒𝓇 𝑜𝒻 𝒜𝓅𝓅𝑒𝒶𝓇𝒶𝓃𝒸𝑒):

No translations for this chapter

𝒩𝑜𝓉𝑒: What do you think Marco is up to? What a weird conversation he had with Ann right? Creep...

Anyway, how was chapter 13? Please don't be a silent Reader! Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!  Bye!