ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 4

Published 3/30/20

Annalise/Ann's POV

We walk through the many corridors. The young girl looked to be about my age. She had blonde hair up in a low messy bun with a scarf around her head to keep her hair up and out of her face while working. Her face was oval shaped with a narrow nose. Her eyes were almond-shaped that held crystal blue eyes.

After a few minutes of silence between us I ask, "What is your name?" She continues to walk while she says in a low voice, "Agnesia." She doesn't ask for my name as someone would have. I stay silent while we walk.

"I know I should ask you for your name, but His Majesty doesn't like his servants to talk while working." She says, while trying to keep her voice low, not to draw attention to us while the King's knights walk by us.

I nod my head, while making a mental note in my head. We reach a door, which leads to a long descending stairway. I hear the commotion of people at the bottom of the stairs, which I can only assume is the kitchen. At the bottom, I am greeted by the hustle of the cook and other servants. There was a woman in a plain brown dress and a white wrapping around her head, a similar one that Agnesia was wearing.

She is at a long table in the middle of the kitchen with many types of herbs and ingredients. "Dov'e il sale?! (Where is the salt?!)"the woman shouts. "Qui! (Here!)" Someone pushes past Agnesia and me and hands a little bowl of salt to the woman.

"Scusami(Excuse me) Agnola, we have a new servant," Agnesia announces over the clamor of the kitchen. The lady, Angola, looks up and looks at me. She was a stout woman, but not overweight. She was light blue eyes.

"Si, the King's new chambermaid,"she says in a breathy tone of voice. "What is your name, dearie?" she asks in a soft tone, walking from behind her table to stand in front of me.

"Annalise," I reply and add a 'ma'am'.

"No need for formalities, child. We are the same. Leave that for the nobles. You do have a foreign name and a long one at that. Do you have another name you wish us to call you? Perhaps a shorter one?"

"Well, my family called me Ann," I respond.

"Wonderful, what a perfect name."Agnola says very enthusiastically with a smile. I smile back.

"As much as I would like for this to continue, I have to get Ann dressed and show her to her duties here." Agnesia interjects. "Right, I will help you."

"Finisci, le mie erbe me ne sarò andata per un momento (Finish my herbs, I'll be gone for a moment)." Agnola shouts to another servant, telling her that she will be back soon.

They led me to another hallway, which is another door off from the kitchen. "These are the servants' chambers."

It is a hallway with 10 doors on each side. I notice each door has a plaque with the names of the person who owns it.

We stop at a door with an empty plaque. "This is your room, Ann." Agnesia says while taking out a key and unlocking the door. We walk into a small room. There is a bed in the corner and a chest at the foot of the bed. Next to the bed is a table with a water basin with a cloth. There was also a small window that looked out to the gardens. "Now that you have seen your room, let's get you washed up, yeah?"

They begin to lead me to another part of the servants' quarters. It was a washroom with wooden and cloth lined tubes filled with water. I strip off my clothes and get into the warm water.

I settled into the water, letting it relax me. Suddenly I feel water pour over my head. Agnesia and Angola begin to wash all the dirt and grime off of me and out of my hair.

Once cleaned, they led me back into my room to get dressed. "This is what you will wear," Angola says while showing me my new servant outfit. It was a black and red bodice with a long black skirt and a white short-sleeved undershirt.

I notice it was different from the one that Angola and Agnesia were wearing. "Why is it different?" I ask. "You are to be working closely with his majesty. He doesn't want any of his servants who are in the public eye to look like any scullery maid. You are to bring honor to his servant household and to him. " Agnola retorted. I nod and began to feel nervous that I was to be close to his majesty as well as other nobles.

They helped me get into the outfit. Agnesia began to tie up the corset in the back, pulling the string taut in front, making me gasp for air. It felt like I couldn't breathe unless I wanted to burst of my corset.  Once everything was tied and smoothed out, Agnesia began to show me around the castle. 

𝔈𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔣 ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 4

𝒩𝑜𝓉𝑒: How did you like chapter 4? Don't be a silent reader! Your feedback would be greatly appreciated! Don't forget to upvote!!