ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 9

Published 5/4/20

Annalise/Ann's POV

It had been a few weeks of my coming here to the castle. I was becoming familiar with the workings of the castle.

Now I am cleaning the king's chamber. I make his bed, pulling the sheets lightly. Then I put his royal garbs away in the wardrobe. Once I'm done with his room, I take his breakfast tray back down to the kitchen.

I only see the king in the morning to give him his breakfast and at dinner. He, oddly, still wants me to stand at his side through the entire meal. It's been a few weeks, and he still continues to do that. I can't understand that man sometimes. For the rest of the day, I help out wherever I am needed. But I am still available to the king at his request.

I make it to the servant corridor that leads to the kitchen. I descend the stairs careful not to drop anything like I've done previously. The stairwell is very narrow, and it's the only one that leads directly to the great hall doors. A few weeks prior, some servant boys  were running up the tight stairway, bumping me, which made me drop the tray that went tumbling down the stairs. By the time It reached the bottom it was all scratched and dented. I hold tightly to the tray at that memory until I reach the last step.

I see Agnola peeling potatoes for dinner tonight. She was considered the mother to some servants here. She was nice, but can be tough when scolding. She noticed me, "How is my luce (light) today?" She calls me 'luce' because apparently 'I am the light in this godforsaken place,' as Agnola would say. Always smiling and always offering to help. I tell her about my morning, which was not interesting.

I offer to help her peel the potatoes. She accepts. I peel the potatoes, then the two girls from a few weeks ago come into the kitchen.

"Ann, what a surprise!" One starts. "We were just talking about you. We were just thinking that the only reason that the king even wants you is for you to eventually warm his bed." She sneers, while the other laughs at her cruel mock.

"Basta! (Enough!) Both of you leave!" Agnola yells at them. They walk away snickering. I stare at the place they were standing. Is it true? Am I only here to warm his bed? I thought to myself. I feel a twinge of pain in my palm. I look down to see that I cut my palm instead of the potato.

"Oh no! Let my bandage your hand," Agnola pours cold water over my hand. She must've noticed my distressed look. "Do not worry about them, my child. They are just trying to get under your skin is all."

She wraps my hand with a cloth. "Go and rest, I will finish this." I give her a small smile and decide to head to the library. Once there, I decide to read the book that I started already. I sit  in hidden reading nook and start to read.

A few hours go by and I decide to head back to the kitchen. I place the book back in its original place on the shelf. In the kitchen, Agnesia glances at my hand, "What happened?" She asked in a concerned tone.

 "It was a minor accident, I am fine." I notice the tray is ready to be taken up. I grab it with the bandaged hand and smile at Agnesia, confirming that I am fine.

I am feel my hand throb with pain again as I ascend the stairs. I try not to have my smile falter as I walk into the great hall. I quickly set the tray in front of the king and hide my hand my hand under my apron. Suddenly, a servant hands me the pitcher of wine.

I take a deep breath before I take the pitcher with my non-wounded hand. I position my wounded hand under the pitcher. I quickly pour wine into the chalice. I try to swiftly walk away, hiding my hand under my apron, hoping that he wouldn't see it.

Suddenly, my wrist is grabbed by a calloused hand. I feel my heart drop into my stomach. The king jerks my hand from under my apron. He brings it up to examine it. His nostrils become flared and his eyes turn dark. "What happened to your hand?!"

𝔈𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔣 𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 9

𝓝𝓸𝓽𝓮: oooh! Cliff-hanger! Anyway, how was chapter 9? Please don't be a silent reader, your feedback be greatly appreciated!

HAPPY  MAY THE 4TH TO ANYONE WHO IS READING THIS AND LOVES STAR WARS! :)