"an early present"

36: an early present

"Good morning," I greeted my dad as I walked into the kitchen

"Good morning," I greeted my dad as I walked into the kitchen. "I think Calum's going to give me a ride this morning, so you don't have to worry."

"You're spending an awful lot of time with this boy, My..." My dad seemed surprised by my words, and I felt my stomach flip as I became nervous. "Isn't Peter jealous?"

"You know, I thought Peter was this great guy... but I don't think he's for me, Dad. He's just kind of boring all of a sudden." I shrugged my shoulders as I walked to the fridge. "Not to say that Calum is for me... but he might have my attention." As the words left my lips, I heard my dad cheer. My eyebrows furrowed and I looked over my shoulder to see him literally dancing around. "What?" I grabbed the orange juice from the top shelf after opening the fridge, and I laughed at my dad as he continued.

"I like this Calum boy, that's all," he said with a simple shrug, yet he had a smile on his face. "Here I was, scared I had missed the process of you starting to like some guy, but I've been witnessing this all along!"

I was internally as happy as could be that my dad seemed to be so pleased; he didn't know that I had told a little white lie, and I think I was justified for doing so. The smile on his face was worth it.

"Don't get crazy or anything... it's not like he's my boyfriend." Yet.

"I'm not saying anything... well, I am saying that I approve of this Calum kid—but I'm not saying that I'm getting my hopes up or anything." I rolled my eyes at my dad and couldn't help but laugh at him.

To think I had been worried that he'd want to kill off any guy that ever interested me; he was as big a supporter as I could've asked for.

"No funny business, though, got it?"

"Yeah, yeah, I hear you," I told him, nodding my head just before taking a sip of the orange juice I had poured for myself. "Well, if he's picking you up... I guess I'll go ahead and head out."

"You sound like you're having some kind of second thought," I observed, which caused my dad to chuckle, but he only shook his head.

"No, I'm just... it's strange to think you're grown up enough to be driving in cars with boys," he said, his nose scrunching up in disgust. His expression caused me to laugh. I set my glass down on the countertop before walking over to my dad and wrapping my arms around his torso.

"You're a strong one, Dad. You can get through this," I joked with him, which caused him to laugh. "Ronnie will be pleased to see you come in early, so you'd better go." I had referred to my dad's boss, who I had known since I was little.

"Yeah, you're right," he said, just before placing a kiss on the top of my head. "I love you, Maya. Make sure he drives safe... okay?"

"Of course," I promised as I pulled away from him. I stepped up on my tiptoes and kissed his cheek before exchanging a goodbye. He left and I texted Calum that he could come in for a few minutes whenever he got here.