"i still like you enough"

8: i still like you enough

"Yes, dad, I've been feeding him

"Yes, dad, I've been feeding him." I yawned into the phone as I slowly walked around the room just beside the living room in Noah's house.

"I'm just making sure. He's your company... you have to take care of him," Dad said, referring to Oscar.

"Dad, he's been my responsibility since I was eleven, I think I can remember to feed him everyday." I laughed quietly and closed my eyes as I decided on a wall to lean my back against. "How's work?"

"It's good!" Dad seemed excited that I had asked, which made me smile. "I guess? It's kind of boring, but a good kind of boring. Not too much work is being pushed on me, and I'm getting to go out a lot more. So... maybe work isn't so exciting, but Portland is." I laughed as my dad rambled on, knowing he never liked to be too tied down to one project. My dad was a kid at heart, which is why designing new products for big companies was a good job for him; he kept himself on his toes with constant new ideas. Conferences, however, weren't as fun for him. "What have you and Sam been up to?"

"Oh... you know," I said, looking around for an idea as to what I should tell him. "We've just been... hanging out, watching movies. Eating a lot of pizza."

"You guys should go out and do something. Don't just lock yourself in the house all week, sweetheart. You're a teenager, in high school, you can do what you want... break free a little, especially since I'm not anywhere near to stop you...?" My eyebrows furrowed as he continued to talk.

"Why are you giving me permission to do dumb stuff? You're my dad, remember?"

"Yes, sweetie, I know that. I'm not telling you to go out and get yourself in trouble, I just... think you should let yourself do something for... you. When I'm home, all you do is sit at home with me, so don't do the same stuff when I'm not there. Have some fun, Maya."

"I have tons of fun! Why does everyone think I can't have fun?" I sighed quietly and crossed my left arm under my right.

"Maya, you don't do much for yourself. You're a people pleaser, you're just like your mom... I'm not saying you're a plain Jane, and you're not boring at all. I'm just saying that you have this week to let yourself have fun and do something you want to. That's all, okay?" I slowly nodded and closed my eyes again. "Here, kiddo, I'm about to walk outside and it'll get loud. I'll talk to you later?"

"Yeah, Dad... talk later."

"I love you, sport. Remember, do something fun this week!"

"Yeah, I hear you. I love you too. Bye."

"Bye, sweetheart." I took the phone from my ear and ended the call, sighing to myself as I kept my back against the wall. I slowly pushed myself away from the wall and walked back into the living room. Everyone was up now, and talking to each other as they sat on the couches.