"calum will be there"

23: calum will be there

a fitting gif

I hadn't heard from Calum all day, and it was both surprising and pathetic how boring school was without him. It had been a week and I was already starting to rely on him for minor entertainment.

"Hey, I saw your dad got back last night." During a lecture in chemistry, Noah leaned over and whispered to me.

"Yeah, he did..." I told Noah, nodding my head as I tried to pay attention. "You could come over to see him if you wanna." I shrugged, not really caring or thinking about what I was saying.

"I was actually sort of wondering if you could distract him tonight, somehow." I finally looked at Noah, to give my full attention.

"What?" I asked, confused by his words.

"I'm having a party, and you know I love your dad, and most of the guys actually like when he crashes, but I was under the impression he would be gone... so, I was hoping this one could be a little more successful." I purposely rolled my eyes slowly in hopes it would serve as some sort of emphasis on my irritation. "You weren't planning to come, were you?"

"I'm not covering for you, Noah." I sighed quietly to myself and looked back up to the front, writing down notes as Mr. Isaacs talked. Noah nudged my arm with his elbow and my eyes closed in annoyance before I looked over at him again.

"I will do anything."

"Noah, he is going to notice blaring music and a ton of wasted kids walking around your front yard no matter what I do. I can't help you, I'm sorry." I realized Noah would probably just get upset with me for what felt like the umpteenth time this week.

"I guess you're right," he said, his tone reeking of disappointment. He looked away from me and back up at Mr. Isaacs, and I couldn't help but to feel bad. Which was ironic, considering he was just throwing a stupid party. My phone vibrated in my pocket and, excited it might be Calum, I hurried to check. Instead, however, it was my dad. I read the text despite my disappointment and as I finished reading it, I wondered how the universe simply worked sometimes. I nudged Noah and he looked over at me, raising an eyebrow in questioning.

"My dad just texted saying he has a meeting in the morning that's in the town over, so he's going to spend the night with my grandparents so he doesn't have to leave early in the morning." Noah slowly sprouted a grin.

"Perfect."

. . .

"I am so sorry that I'm leaving again," Dad said while I watched him pack as I sat on his bed.

"Dad, it's okay. It's one night, I'll be fine." I laughed quietly to reassure my dad that I would be fine, and he sent me a quick smile before walking to his closet.