"luke usually cries"

6: luke usually cries

I had texted Noah about fifteen minutes earlier to tell him that Sam and I were going to stop by, and he seemed pleased

I had texted Noah about fifteen minutes earlier to tell him that Sam and I were going to stop by, and he seemed pleased. Noah also knew Sam fairly well, so I figured if there were two of us that could get her to have a good time and keep her comments to herself, we'd get away with having a good night. Sam and Noah had never gotten along all that well; they were always bickering, but I always thought it was based on some kind of love.

I was flattered with all the nice things Calum had said to me, but they had really confused me. I didn't want to tell Sam about it, just because I knew she'd put some crap in my head and make me believe Calum wasn't worth my time. I appreciated her looking out for me, but she was a little harsh and was a little too good at holding a grudge.

What I knew was that I liked being around Calum, and that he was nice to talk to. He could make me laugh, and although he had a reputation, he really seemed to be better than I had heard. Maybe I was stupid, but I wasn't going to stop just because of assumptions I could make.

I was giving him a chance, and he'd better appreciate it... even if it was, in a way, to win a bet.

I sort of hoped the bet wouldn't last, and that Sam would forget about it. But I probably wasn't lucky enough for that to happen.

"So you'll let me leave if I'm having a really shitty time?" Sam asked and I nodded at her. We were in my bedroom, getting ready, and the more she talked about it, the less annoyed she sounded and the more nervous she sounded.

"Sam... are you okay?" I finally asked, noticing her staring off as she bit her lip. She looked over at me slowly, her blank expression still plastered on her face.

"I'm just... I don't know," she told me and I furrowed my eyebrows as I walked over to her, sitting down beside her on the bed. "Maya... I don't mean to be a bitch, you know I'm not one..."

"Sam, I know that—"

"I'm not finished... let me get this thought out, okay?" I nodded and waited for her to continue. "When I don't like something, it's really easy for me to be cold toward it. Especially when it's a person, which makes me sort of a bitch... but I only come off rude and mean because it's easier for me to not deal with things and have people think I'm rude. That doesn't make sense—I..." Sam looked over at me and I furrowed my eyebrows deeper, sort of concerned. Sam looked flustered. "Those guys make me really nervous, Maya. I'm rude to them because what's one girl who has an attitude really going to do to their ego, you know?"

"What do you mean by nervous?" I asked, sort of taken aback by Sam's change in personality.

"I don't know... they're all just so... controlling, you know? I mean, that's how they've gotten away with the stuff they do! I'm a feminist bitch who doesn't care to spit in their faces, but—wait, not literally. I wouldn't spit on them, but that's not what I'm talking about. Anyway, I'm able to speak my mind and tell them how I feel, but I don't know... it's not like I'm perfect. They're dreamy guys, Maya. I'm into guys, and I know when they're attractive and no matter how disgusting I think they might be, I'm a hormonal teen that could be easily roped into something. I could fall for something they tried to pull... I'm smart, but I'm human."