[Pt. 3] Ballroom Blitz (Tony Stark X Reader)

"Ah! There she is! The lady of the hour!" Tony calls out in greeting as you near where he, along with Steve and Rhodey are now sitting on the few couches in the area, their conversation you'd been watching from earlier instantly evaporating.

You just roll your eyes with a chuckle as you take a seat beside Steve, dipping your head in acknowledgement to the other two across from you.

"So? What have you fine gentleman been chatting about this evening?" You hum, grabbing the pillow out from behind your back and placing it at your feet.

"You, actually. You know-" Rhodey begins, only to be silenced by Tony with a exaggerated clearing of his throat.

"You know far more than I do about Quantum Physics," He continues, as your expression shifts into a frown.

"I do no-"

"I was informing these gentlemen of how you've been helping me with my latest project."

"You haven't been working with Quantum Phy-"

However, this time, it's not Tony who cuts you off.

Rather, it's Rhodey, who just begins to laugh hysterically.

"You both have to the worst liars I have ever met," He wheezes, elbowing the now rather stern looking man next to him. "Right, Cap?"

The man beside you just shakes his head with a chuckle.

"You two argue like an old married couple!" Natasha quips as she saunters past where we're all sitting, having heard the conversation that had just occurred before she's gone again.

A slight grin begins to tug at your lips as you allow your gaze to wander over the figures of people mingling all around, seeming to be having a good time.

Though, as your eyes wander towards the main doors to the large space everyone is currently situated in, the smile is wiped off your features, instead being replaced by an expression of confusion and concern.

Noticing your sudden shift in attitude, the three men around you follow your gaze, their own expressions shifting to match yours.

"Who are they?" You mutter, watching warily as three men in dark suits stroll into the area, bee-lining straight for you and your small group.

"Good question," Tony grumbles, sharing a nod with his friend, who begins to make his way to his feet. "Let's find out."

Before you could even think to stop him or come up with a better idea, Tony is already meeting the three newcomers halfway, greeting each with a firm handshake.

"I don't like this," Steve's sudden voice from behind you sounds, causing you to tear your gaze from where it had been to face him. "The party's almost over. Why show up now?"

"I don't think they're here to party," You hum, gaze returning to where it had been before Steve had spoke.

Now, however, there's only one newcomer standing with the brown haired billionaire.

"They split up," You mutter lowly, scrambling to your feet while Rogers does the same, following you as you make your way to Tony's side.

"S.H.I.E.L.D disbanded," You hear your Partner explain to the man in front of him. "So surely you understand why I'm having an extremely difficult time believing you were sent on behalf of Nick Fury."

You raise an eyebrow questioningly, coming to a halt in front of the newcomer.

"That's your alibi? Seriously?" You exclaim loudly, hoping to get the notice of the rest of the Team. "S.H.I.E.L.D is no more. So who exactly are you and why are you here?"