Never Seems to Learn (Avengers Drabble)

Background info: You have known Steve and Bucky since the 40s. Grew up with them, in fact. Not to get into detail, but you managed to stay by Steve's side, even in the 21st century. Now you, he and Bucky are all Avengers.

Prompt: See above.

****

It was a quiet afternoon at the Avengers Complex.

People were coming and going as they pleased, the odd blur of figures sparring outside on the grass catching your eye from where you're sitting, working on sorting various old and outdated paper files.

"You know, you would figure with Stark being such the genius he is, he would've already digitized these eons ago," You chuckle softly as your longtime friend and practically brother, Bucky Barnes, appears at the doorway to the small, secluded room you're in.

"And I would've figured you'd be outside on a day like today," He grins, making his way towards you before taking a seat at your side. "But instead you're going through paper work?"

"Hey," You muse, raising an eyebrow slightly as you turn to face him with a shrug. "Someone's gotta do it. And frankly, my shoulder has been bothering me lately so I've been easing up on physical training anyway."

At this, your friend's expression shifts into immediate concern.

"Which shoulder?" He murmurs, his brows furrowed in genuine concern for your well-being.

"Buck, it's fine. Really."

The brunet simply passes you a glare of 'tell me or I'll figure it out,' written across his features.

"It's my left," You admit, sitting back into the couch cushions slightly as the feeling of Bucky's cautious touch tingles through you.

Gently at first, he begins to apply pressure to your injured area, looking to you for some sort of response.

You certainly give him one as pain shoots through you, earning a rather aggressive smack to his good arm.

"Yeah, ouch!" You hiss through gritted teeth, the hands on your shoulder retreating back to their owner's sides.

"Sorry," Comes the reply, his tone not dropping the genuine worry. "Why don't we get you down to the Medbay? I'm sure Banner wouldn't mind taking a-"

Before Bucky can finish his sentence, however, a rather harsh sounding knock against the doorframe cuts him off.

You raise your head to meet the newcomer, a tight, forced smile tugging at your lips as you realize who it is.

"I see you've decided to make yourself halfway useful on your afternoon off," Tony chides, a smirk on his own lips as he steps into the room.

"I figured I would try, yeah," You reply smoothly, going with the flow.

"What have you got for me so far, then?"

"You can take that stack there," You nod, motioning to the papers you'd already made your way through which are sitting off to the side.

"Look at that. So organized," The billionaire teases, glancing at Bucky who is still sitting at your side.

"Have you seen Steve around?" Bucky muses aloud while Tony picks up a nearby cardboard box to put your sorted papers in.

"Hm. Now that you mention it... Peter did mention something about a driving lesson this afternoon? I'm assuming Capsicle might be the one teaching him, seeing as the Kid was all jumpy about it..."

Stark allows his sentence to trail off as he turns to face you and your friend, likely equal expressions of panic written across your features.

"What is it?"