Sleeping Arrangements (Bucky Barnes X Reader)

A/N: Suggested by littleinterruptions
You rock, Pal! (See above) Thanks for the idea! Also: updates might be a bit slower until the end of June. Life is becoming busy!

****

You'd always just assumed things

Like how you'd assumed that your life would just be something normal - typical.

Of course, that assumption turned out to be impeccably incorrect, considering you'd somehow wound up married to a man technically twice your age who had just so happened to have been brainwashed and forced to kill for half of his life.

Like how you'd assumed that Bucky Barnes would never have returned the same feelings you felt towards him, considering his incredibly rough past.

But again, your assumption was incorrect, proven when he had rather sheepishly proposed to you, after he, Sam Wilson and yourself had watched Steve Rogers return the Infinity Stones and return as a much older man.

And even now, as you lay in bed, your husband soothingly rubbing your shoulders as if to ease the built up tension from the everyday stressors of work and just... living, you assume he's just about as exhausted as you are.

"Mm. Night, Buck," You mumble lowly, your eyelids becoming too heavy to hold open any longer as his familiarly strong arms pull your smaller form nestled closer to his.

"Night, Doll," He murmurs fondly, pecking your cheek delicately as you begin to drift away into sleep, Bucky's arms still securely holding you.

But, unbeknownst to you, while you drift along in a peaceful slumber, knowing the love of your life is nearby, he simply lays there momentarily, unable to succumb to the staggering fatigue plaguing his body.

Instead, after ensuring you are indeed sound asleep, he presses a gentle kiss to your forehead while untangling himself from you, before slipping out from under the covers and tip-toeing out of the room.

He heads for his usual spot in the living room, tucked behind the relative safety of the couch which is conveniently situated to block the front door, grabbing a small pillow off of said couch on his way past.

Tucking the cushion beneath his head, he settles down onto the cool hardwood floor, slowly beginning to drift off into a rather uneasy sleep.

****

You awake with a sudden start, the clatter of pots and pans from the kitchen quickly reaching your ears.

Grinning softly to yourself, you slide out of bed, bare feet touching the cold floor making you shiver involuntarily as you pad softly down the hallway towards the ruckus.

Your husband is already up and at it, as per usual, greeting your likely bed-headed looking figure with a rather tired looking grin.

Though his steely blue eyes tell a different story - one of admiration and love.