Moving On (Peter Parker *TASM* X Reader)

A/N: I have no idea what this is. It's rushed. It's also midnight here already. Whoops. Past my bedtime. This came to me after watching TASM 2 and crying yet again, so here we are. Sorta sad but happy? Again, it's rushed. I'm sorry. Goodbye.

****

It had come at a shock when he'd told you what happened.

It had equally surprised you when your very best friend had simply collapsed into your arms, sobbing madly.

Peter Parker had returned to the very same place you had dragged him out of once before - when you were both younger, after his Parents had died.

Though this time, he'd lost Gwen.

Even after he had done everything in his power not to, he still had lost her.

And now, that leaves him with you and his Aunt May - who you've been basically living with since Gwen's passing all those months ago.

Gaze flicking from the illuminated TV screen in front of you to the person sitting beside you on the couch, you smile softly.

Peter is curled up at your side, head resting on a pillow he'd propped up previously against the back of the couch and your shoulder.

The sight eases you a bit as you pull the blanket from your lap and drape it across his, gently moving away so he can lay down.

Though your sudden movements must shake him out of his slumber, brown eyes cracking open and looking up at you in confusion.

"Where are you-"

"You fell asleep," You explain warmly, shifting closer to him, a hand brushing a stray piece of his longer than usual hair out of the way. "I was just moving so you could lay down."

"Oh," Is the only murmured reply you receive as your gaze wanders from Peter towards the rear kitchen window of the Parker's apartment, the darkness and the rain making you shiver involuntarily.

Your friend must notice your sudden twitch because he's instantly clambering back to an upright position, concerned eyes resting heavy on you.

"Hey, hey, hey," You urge softly, gently forcing Peter back into the couch cushions. "You need to sleep, Pete."

"Fine," He grumbles groggily, tossing off the blanket you'd put on him mere moments ago over to you. "But you take the blanket. You're freezing - don't deny it."

Wordlessly, you nod your thanks and settle onto your own side of the couch, the top of your head almost touching your friend's.

"Want the TV on or off?"

"You can leave it on. Up to you."

Chuckling inwardly, you reach towards the coffee table, grab the remote and switch off the television, the living room falling silent.

And for what seems like hours, the pair of you lay there, simply listening to the rain splashing against the windows and the sound of your mingled breathing.

Until one of you finally speaks.

"Y/N?"

From your distantly fading fatigued thoughts you recognize Peter's whispered tone, accompanied by the sound of shifting couch cushions.

"You still awake?"

Huffing in reply, you crack your eyes open, an exhausted looking Peter Parker peering down at uou.

Dark bags sit heavy beneath his eyes, his lips are chapped and his skin doesn't appear as soft as it usually does.

But, as you gaze up at him in question, those things fall to the back of your mind, your attention being caught up in his warm brown gaze which almost appears to be filling with so many emotions all at once, you can't quite make it out.

"Peter?" You murmur aloud, voice cracking as a tear slips down his cheek and lands on yours.

Almost instinctively, you raise a hand to wipe away his tears, and as you do so, his hand brushes against your own cheek, wiping away the tear that had fallen.

"I don't know what I'm doing," He chuckles sadly, voice cracking, another tear splashing onto your skin, Peter's gentle touch wiping it away.

"What do you mean?"

"I haven't done anything except mourn for five months," He explains, shaking his head almost as if to ward off bad memories.

"That's fine. It's okay-"

"No. It's not okay. It's not what she would've wanted..." Peter cuts you off, grimacing. "She would've wanted me to keep being the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man... and she would've wanted me to move on. I haven't done either of those things in five months."

"Things take time, Pete, it's-"

But before you can finish your sentence, surprise choruses through you at the slightly foreign feeling of your best friend's lips upon yours, floods your senses.

Letting out a squeak of shock, you immediately pull away, confusion pulsing through you.

"What the hell, Peter?"

The both of you sitting up now, he just passes you a look you haven't seen grace his features in a long while - that dorky grin that you love so much.

"It's time to move on," He determines, the glimmer of grief that had been permanent in his eyes for five months suddenly becoming dimmer and dimmer, until it's replaced entirely by a newfound spark of excitement and happiness.

"Move on?" You muse, baffled at his choice of words. "A-Are you implying that you're-"

"In love with you?" He finishes for you, lips twitching upward into a grin. "Yeah, I guess I am. Or did that kiss not make it clear?"

You simply sit there, in absolute shock for what seems like eons, too stunned to formulate any sort of reply.

So instead, you wordlessly shift towards the person in front of you, his gaze watching your every move.

And without thinking, you wrap Peter in the tightest hug possible, earning a soft chuckle from him.

"I want you to know that I'm not replacing her," You mumble into his shoulder. "I can't do that."

"I know. And I'm not asking you to. I'm just asking you to be yourself, Y/N, because that's who I've known since we were kids. That's who's been by my side through thick and thin... that's who I'm choosing to be in love with." Peter explains huskily as you both shift away from the embrace, though his eyes dart back down towards your lips.

"Alright," You grin softly, a hand raising to cradle his cheek. "I can work with that."

And once more, you find your lips locked with none other than Peter Parker.

Someone you'd never even thought you'd be kissing - yet here you are.

And even though he's been through so much pain - losing his Parents, his Uncle, his girlfriend's Father and then his girlfriend - all of that has just made him ten times stronger... and sweeter.

"Thank you," He breathes, pulling away to let you both catch your breaths, foreheads touching.

"For everything."

You smile, your gaze meeting his, sharing a thankful nod.

"You're welcome, Peter."