Protective (Bucky Barnes X Reader)

Prompt: See above

****

When you had first joined the Avengers, you had known it wasn't going to be a walk in the park, but you were determined to help a good cause in any way you could.

For awhile, you simply attended to the simple things.

Helping out around the Complex, doing some training with Natasha, investigating any new developments on each and every lead the Team had in place.

You didn't mind the odd jobs, but you wanted something more.

So, when a chance finally came to prove yourself in the field, you were ecstatic.

It was a simple, straightforward mission.

You were partnered up with Bucky and Steve and you all grabbed your gear, heading to the that Quinjet waited outside - already prepped and ready to go.

Everything was going smoothly.

You had located the target and closed in on him, only to quickly realize that his mental state was extremely volatile.

Couple that with a person wearing a vest rigged with explosives and boom - the concrete building you'd been standing in began to crumple around your shocked and slightly charred form.

The two rather frantic sounding voices in your earpiece had echoed in your pounding head as you ran as fast as you physically could back the way you had came, rubble falling all around you.

Your heart had raced.

The sounds around you were deafening.

But when you finally reached the exit, only to find it completely sealed off from your only hope of escape, the panic began to set in.

With the walls crumbling around you, dust clouding your vision and hindering your breathing, you made the call as you allowed your knees to buckle beneath you.

"No... where... to... go..." You had coughed, raising a shaky hand to open up the communication line in your earpiece.

"Don't do this, Y/N! We'll get you out of there! Just hang in there a bit longer!"

That was Steve.

Or was it Bucky?

"Doll, listen to me,"

That was Bucky.

You'd be able to tell his voice anywhere.

"Stay where you are, okay? And stay awake. You've got to stay awake!"

"I..." You murmured, your hand falling heavily towards the dusty ground. "Can't..."

"You have to, Y/N! Just hang in there. Steve and I are making our way in now."

His voice began to fade as your senses followed along, a looming darkness creeping into your vision.

"Y/N? Y/N? Oh, God, please no... Y/N!"

All you could do is feebly let out a strangled cry with a faint cough.

And then, everything vanished.

Went completely black.

Only to become extremely bright white in what seemed like moments later.

Long story short, your Partners had managed to drag your crumpled body out of that pile of rubble and had immediately gotten you to the nearest hospital.

Which, you had woken up in, six weeks ago.

Now, you're sitting in the small apartment you and Bucky - your Partner, friend and boyfriend - had decided to rent out for awhile after your incident.