Part 36

I stepped outside and admired the view. The twinkling lights decorating the trees and the bushes. And right there, in the middle, was Harry. His back was to me as I started walking towards him, but my heels gave me away.
"Y/N. Hi."
"Beautiful night, isn't it."
"Yeah."
"Why aren't you celebrating in there?"
"I needed some fresh air."
I started getting nervous. Just knowing that I was gonna do it made me have a huge knot in my stomach.
"Harry, there's something I want to tell you. It might be too late, but I don't know. I feel like this is something I have to tell you, to get it off my mind. Knowing I did the right thing."
"Should I be worried?" He asked me.
"No. Not at all. You know, we've got so much history, you and me. We've known each other our whole lives. And I know we had some difficult times, but I wouldn't change them because they've made us the people we are today." I paused.
"You know what my favorite cake flavor is?" I asked him.
"It could be anything. I don't know where you're going with this." He replied.
"Just hear me out, please. It's red velvet. Does that ring a bell?"
"Of course. It was when you came to visit me after school when I worked at the bakery."
"You remember." I mumbled.
He nodded, smiling.
"This is really hard for me because it's something that I've wanted to do for a long time and I realize I should have done it before and-"
"Oh, Harry. You're here. We should get going." Casey interrupted from the door.

"You can tell me this another time, right? I'm sorry but I really need to go." Harry said to me, walking towards his bride.
"I don't know if I will." I whispered, my voice shaking.
I watched him disappear with Casey. That was it. I was actually going to tell him and he left just like that? I had to give up. I would never have a chance like that again. I sighed in resignation.
I looked up at the sky. Starry nights always fascinated me, but that night I was searching something else. I needed some sort of reassurance that it would be okay. The situation slipped out of my hands in a minute with Casey's appearance. And I would have to accept that.
I wanted to go home. I went back in casually, grabbing my purse and coat and walking towards the exit. I walked to my car, opening the door.
"Y/N!" I turned around to see the boys and Sophia at the entrance, out of breath.
They ran to catch up to me? I lifted my hands in the air, questioning what they were doing.
"What happened?" Niall asked as they approached me.
"I- I just need to go home."
"We're coming." Liam stated.
"No, Liam. You all need to go and enjoy the party. And I've already made a horrible impression, haven't I Sophia?" I spoke, embarrassed.
"Y/N, I have no idea what happened a while ago with Harry, but if you need us we're definitely here. And so far I think you're a wonderful person." Sophia smiled.
"Tea at my house then?"
"See you there." Louis said, rubbing my arm.

I arrived before them and put the kettle. I heard engines so I knew they had arrived. I opened the front door and let them in. They all followed me to the kitchen.
"I'm making some tea. We can go to the front porch if you like." I said to them.
"Yeah, good idea." Zayn replied and they all left. Except Sophia.
"Do you want to talk about it? I know we're not the best of friends, I mean, we barely know each other. But I know that sometimes opening up to the boys about your love life is difficult and especially the man we're gonna talk about." She spoke, eyeing me.
"I don't want what I'm about to tell them to change the way they see Harry. Yeah, I'm sad and he left me just like that when Casey appeared, but Harry's a wonderful man. I just don't think he realized what he did. And maybe someday he'll regret it." I replied truthfully.
I wasn't angry. I was realizing that it was over. Letting it sink in. The loud whistle of the kettle made me jump. Sophia helped me make tea for everyone.
I carried the tray out to the porch.
"Here you are." I said, handing out a mug for each of them.
We talked, I cried, we laughed, I felt so much better. A while after Mum and Elliott arrived, the boys and Sophia decided to leave.
"Would you like me to stay with you?" Louis offered.
"No,don't worry. We'll see each other soon, yeah?" I replied, hugging him.
I went to bed after they left. I fell asleep quickly, I was quite tired. I dreamed that night with Harry. It was like if it was all in the back of my mind and it was replaying it in my head. I woke up suddenly after hearing him say the three words I had always wanted him to say.
"He told me he loved me." I whispered.