• Chapter Two •

All eyes settled onto Katherine the following evening as she arrived at the ball that Lady Danbury was hosting. She wore a short sleeved, powdery grey ball gown which flowed to the floor with intricate embroidery over the chest area and into the skirt. She wore a long pair of gloves of the same colour while her curls were left loose.

She smiled to herself as every single, eligible man had his eyes set upon her and held her head up high as she passed by them, walking towards Lady Danbury.

"Apologies for my late arrival, Lady Danbury." She said sincerely once she had reached the older woman.

"You arrived, that is what matters." Lady Danbury responded with a smile. "I still await on that brother of yours."

The young lady smiled with amusement. Her brother, late as always and always trying to get out of attending balls and parties. He would definitely succeed if not for Lady Danbury; no one can say no to the witty lady.

"Walk with me, dear." Lady Danbury said, immediately causing Katherine to hook arms with her as they made their rounds around the house while greeting guests.

With her sharp eye, Lady Danbury took note of the Bridgerton brothers and the two older sisters, and began making her way over to them with Katherine beside her, but it had appeared that the eldest of the siblings, Anthony Bridgerton, spotted the two women and alerted his brothers before attempting to hide themselves from her gaze.

As if you could successfully achieve that.

"Too late." Lady Danbury called to them with a smirk as both she and Katherine approached, the young lady smiling in amusement. "I already noted you."

The three brothers internally kicked themselves at their unsuccessful try to conceal themselves and turned themselves around with smiles on their faces.

"Lady Danbury!" They greeted in unison, bowing before the two ladies while their sister curtsied.

"Miss Daphne and Daniella Bridgerton." Lady Danbury took note of the girls. "You two look rather lovely this evening? Is there a reason that I have yet to see you both on the dance floor?" She asked.

"All in good time, Lady Danbury." Anthony replied on behalf of his sisters.

The older woman arched a brow at the Viscount before leaning towards the two girls. "You poor things." She said, purposefully loud enough for Anthony to hear, before she walked off.

Katherine smiled at the two girls politely. "You both were brilliant out there." She complimented before she settled her gaze onto the slightly taller of the two sisters. "Especially you."

"Thank you, Lady Hastings." Daphne responded with a smile.

Daniella nodded her head in agreement with a smile of her own. "Please, you were the one who took a risk not wearing one of those ridiculous feathers." She said. "It is quite admirable."

Katherine smirked. "I don't do birds." She replied and curtsied before she walked towards the table of drinks

She got herself a glass of lemonade and took a sip of sweet, yet sour drink, when suddenly a voice spoke up from behind her.

"Lady Hastings."

She turned herself around to find the second eldest of the Bridgerton siblings, Benedict, standing before her. She smiled, placing her glass down on the table before she curtsied. "Lord Bridgerton."

Benedict smiled and bowed before he met her gaze. "May I have this dance?" He asked politely.

"You may." Katherine replied with a smile and placed her gloved hand into his before she was lead out to the dance floor.