• Chapter Twelve •

The following morning, both Katherine and Simon walked arm-in-arm down the pathway of the park, towards the Bridgerton family.

The young lady caught sight of Anthony playing with Gregory and Hyacinth, which had immediately caused for a smile to grace her lips as she admired him. He looked so happy and at ease around children, especially his youngest siblings.

Shifting her gaze slightly, she found Benedict sitting in a chair and eating some of the snacks that had been set out.

With a smile, she made her way over toward him. "Lord Bridgerton." She greeted and giggled when his eyes widened slightly.

She always seemed to startle the young lord in some way or another.

"Lady Hastings." He greeted after quickly composing himself and getting to his feet.

"Can we have a word?.." She asked.

"Yes." He responded and held his arm out for her to take.

She hooked her arm with his and walked quite a distance away from the Bridgerton camp where she suddenly paused and turned to the second eldest Bridgerton as he looked down at her in question.

"Benedict, I have an ounce of guilt.." She began and let out a soft sigh. "I have feelings for you.."

As if sensing that there was more, Benedict pressed gently. "But?.."

"But.. I have feelings for your brother.." Katherine replied. "I am sorry. I did not wish to hurt you.."

A heavy sigh escaped from his mouth as he shifted his gaze towards the ground. "Well, I must say that I am a little disappointed.." He said and returned his gaze to her after a brief moment of silence, which had caused her to frown. "But anyone can see that Anthony is smitten with you.. Believe me, he had been moping from last night until you and the Duke had arrived."

She stared at the young man in wonder. "How are you so simple?" She asked. "Your brother makes everything complicated. If you like a girl, you would court her.. And yet, I feel like I am not even a part of his world."

"Well, you do have the complicated one of the brothers so good luck with that." Benedict said with a teasing smirk. "And he's not exactly on the quick side, if you know what I mean."

Katherine laughed and covered her mouth in order to try and muffle the sound, making the second eldest Bridgerton chuckle along with her.

"But if it does count as anything.." He began with a soft smile. "He has not seen Siena or spoken a word of her since you came along. It was as if you had changed him for the better."

Glancing over Benedict's shoulder, the young lady noticed that the Viscount had set his eyes on them, watching them closely.

"I cannot talk any longer. Your brother is watching." She said before an idea came to mind, making her smirk deviously. "Shall we mess with him?" She asked.

"Oh, you are quite evil." Benedict replied with a smirk of his own. "I would never pass up teasing my siblings."

Katherine took his hands into hers and began to laugh flirtatiously, which from the distance, seemed to irriate Anthony - even more so when she went to fix his brother's tie.

As for Benedict, he could practically feel his brother's glare on the back of his head before he leaned towards Katherine. "If looks could kill, I would be dead." He whispered. "I can feel his glare."

The young lady tried to keep her composure but failed dismally when she broke out in laughter. "I cannot anymore." She said as gasped for breath.

Letting out a laugh of his own, Benedict gestured for her to follow and the two made their way back towards the Bridgerton camp. Upon arrival, Anthony made his way up towards his younger brother and pulled him aside.