• Chapter Twenty-Seven •

She slid her ring off with a frustrated groan.

How could Anthony be so foolish to even suggest yet another dual, knowing that he could either be killed or arrested?

With a heavy sigh, she removed her dress and got into her night dress before soon realising that tears had begun to slip from her eyes.

"Miss?" Anna called to her softly as she stood near the closed bedroom door.

"I am alright.." Katherine replied to her handmaiden when all of a sudden, a loud knock sounded against the door.

"Katherine.." The voice called on the opposite end, making the young lady's eyes widen.

She rushed forward and opened the door to pull Anthony inside and quickly closed it after Anna had slipped out, leaving the couple to themselves.

"What if someone saw you?" She asked.

"They did not." He answered before his eyes caught sight of a missing item of jewellery from her hand. "I've lost you again.." He stated softly.

Katherine shook her head lightly. "You did not." She responded.

"You are not wearing your ring.." Anthony said.

She sighed softly. "How would it look to marry the man who killed my brother?.." She asked. "I am Lady Hastings, Duchess if Simon is killed.. I do not want all of that responsibility, nonetheless you would be imprisoned. And what if he kills you? My brother will be imprisoned and I would have to live a life without you.."

"I am sorry, darling, but there is no other choice.." He apologised with sincerity. "He has refused Daniella's hand. This is the last thing that I wish to do with my best friend, believe me.."

"No, I am sorry.." She said, looking up to meet his questioning gaze. "Because I cannot let you die.."

The Viscount frowned softly and approached the young lady. "Darling," He began and gently cupped her face between his hands. "I do not wish to kill him. I would never do that to you.."

Tears fell from her dark brown eyes as she stared up at him. "But the chances.." She whispered and placed her hands against her stomach. "We want a family.."

"And we will have it.." He assured her, placing his hands over hers.

She stared at him, slightly doubting his assurance. "Can you assure me that, that is possible?" She asked softly.

"Yes, if we run away together.." He responded, staring down at her. "We can leave and start a new life together with our children.."

She stared up at him with wonder before she unclipped her necklace from around her neck and took hold of his hand, placing it into his palm.

Anthony frowned softly and looked at her in question. "Darling?" He questioned.

"Something to remember why you are fighting.." She said simply.

He stared at her before remembering his conversation earlier that evening with Benedict. "Darling, I must tell you.. If I do not make it--"

"Anthony--"

"If I do not make it, I have asked Benedict to handle my affairs.." He said, cutting her off completely. "That means making sure that you are provided for.."

"But I will not be wed to you.." She whispered.

He placed his hand against her cheek and stroked it lightly. "That is only if I do not make it.." He replied.

"And that is still a chance.." She stated with a soft sigh, shifting her gaze to the floor for a brief moment before staring back up into her lover's eyes with a frown. "You better make it.." She said and slid her ring back onto her finger.

"I will.." He promised.

She gave a small smile before she leaned up and kissed his lips softly. "Stay with me.." She whispered, gripping a fistfull of the material of his shirt.

"Of course.." He replied before having his lips captured by Katherine in a heated kiss.

Pulling away, Anthony immediately began to trail kisses along Katherine's neck, making her moan softly in response as he began to remove her night dress.

Her hands trailed from his neck all the way down to his shirt where she began fumbling with the buttons in attempt to get him undressed as quickly as possible. Once the item of clothing was removed, she ran her hands along his sculpted chest and admired him.

But this just made their desire for each other grow as the Viscount immediately pulled her back into a kiss and picked her up before moving them over towards the bed.

He sat in bed and watched her peaceful, sleeping figure as she clutched onto him. He ran his fingers through her dark curls and reached for his pocket watch to stare at the time.

As if sensing this, Katherine slowly awakened, opening her dark brown eyes to find him gazing at the watch in his hand. "Are you not tired?" She asked softly.

"I cannot sleep." He replied as softly.

"The I shall stay awake with you.." She said.

Anthony shook his head softly before he shifted his gaze onto her. "I must leave soon.." He announced.

"No.." She whispered as tears began to flood her gaze.

"Katherine.." He cooed. "I will return to you and we will able able to start our new lives.. I promise."

"I do not want you to leave me.." She said sadly.

"Darling, I promise that I will return.." He responded and gently kissed her lips. "And that is to seal my promise to you.."

She nodded softly and stared at him, hoping that this would work and that neither of the men in her life would be killed or imprisoned..