• Chapter Twenty-One •

Two nights.

Yet she had still waited.

The soprano stared at her reflection in the mirror of her vanity as she fixed her makeup. She didn't want to get her hopes up this evening since the Duke had not shown up last night.

So, what would make tonight any different than last?

As she closed her powder compact, the caretaker of the Opera approached and stood in the doorway silently. As she looked up, she noted him and twisted herself around in the chair to look at him.

"A gentleman is here for you." The caretaker said and left without another word.

A small smile came to Siena's face. Maybe he had come after all.

But as soon as the smile had appeared, it had quickly disappeared when Anthony stood in the doorway with an unreadable expression on his face.

"To what do I owe this unexpected visit?" She asked as she turned herself back around in her chair. "Or is Lady Hastings having a tea party with her prim and proper friends?"

"What are you trying to accomplish, Siena?" Anthony demanded. "You know full well that the Duke is courting my sister."

The soprano looked at him through the reflection of her mirror. "Why could you not go straight to the Duke and tell him to stay away from me?" She questioned.

"Oh, we both know full well that it was you who invited him." He responded.

She turned around in her seat and faced the dark haired man. "My affairs are no longer your concern, Lord Bridgerton." She said heatedly as she got to her feet. "As you had made it abundantly clear. I need a man to care for me and a child. A child that you do not seem to care for.." She added and placed her hand over her stomach.

"What?" He demanded.

"I am with your child." She replied.

Anthony shook his head in disbelief. "Impossible." He said.

"Impossible?" Siena repeated with a laugh. "Of course.. This is why I did not tell you. I warmed your bed, did I not? And I have not seen anyone but you, although you cannot seem to say the same."

He stared at her in silence, multiple questions coursing through his head but only one seemed to stand out..

Could it have been possible?

"Now you have to wait for the righteous Lady Hastings to warm your bed.." The soprano continued.

"Siena." The Viscount said with a warning tone.

"The perfect lady." She continued. "The perfect lady who gets a man who will not care for his child."

"Enough!" He exclaimed. "I will not have you speaking of her in such a manner. As for the child, I will see to it that you have money to provide for him or her.."

But just outside of the door, what the ex lovers did not know, was that Katherine had heard most of the conversation and had covered her mouth in complete shock as she listened in further, as tears slowly began to flood her dark brown eyes

Siena made her way over to Anthony and placed her hand against his cheek, making him instantly remove it from his face.

"No." He said and took a step back away from her.

But the soprano grabbed hold of his coat and pulled him in for a kiss, immediately wrapping her arms around his neck.

The Viscount instantly pulled away from her. "No, Siena!" He exclaimed as he narrowed his eyes into an icy glare.

"I miss you.." She said softly as she stared at him.

He shook his head violently. "I will not have you ruin what I have with Lady Hastings." He said.

"You already have.." A new voice spoke up from behind them, causing Anthony's eyes to widen and he quickly turned around to find his lover staring at him blankly.

"Darling.." He began but Katherine walked off with haste and quickly began making her way up the stairs.

"Katherine!" He called as he ran after her. "Wait!" He exclaimed pleadingly as he took hold of her hand to stop her.

The young lady pulled her arm back harshly as she glared at him. "You are never to touch me again." She seethed.

"My love, let me explain--"

"Explain what?" She questioned, cutting the Viscount off completely.

"About what you have heard.." He answered softly as his heart began to clench painfully.

She stared at him in disbelief. "About how you have a baby with her?" She asked. "Is that why you will not marry me? Am I there to warm your bed?"

"No! Of course not.." He said as his voice cracked slightly with emotion while tears formed in his eyes. "Katherine, I love you.. I want you to be my wife."

The dark haired girl shook her head before looking at him dead in the eye. "Stay away from me, Viscount Bridgerton." She said and began walking towards her carriage.

She felt him grab hold of her hand again and she immediately pulled it away again only to see him drop onto his knees before her as he held onto her dress.

"Please, darling.." He pleased with tears threatening to fall from his dark eyes. "You must believe me.."

She closed her eyes to prevent the tears from falling and shook her head before she left him on his knees in the hallway as she exited the Opera house.

Katherine entered Hastings House that night only to be met with the staff packing boxes which seemed to have confused her.

She saw Jeffries approaching and quickly stopped him. "Jeffries, what is going on?" She asked.

"Your brother wishes to leave London immediately." Jeffries responded, making the young lady frown.

She returned her gaze to the member of staff and nodded her head slowly. "Thank you.." She said and slowly walked upstairs to her bedroom.

She entered her bedroom and closed the door behind her. That was when the wave of emotions hit her like a tsunami..

Tears streamed down her face as she slid her way down to the floor and cried softly.