• Chapter Forty •

Over the next two days, things did not go so well for both Katherine and Anthony.

For Katherine, she appeared to be fine to everyone around her but on the inside, she was hurting.. Broken.. She felt as if her heart had walked right out the door with Anthony the night she chased him away.

She'd only be lying to herself if she said that this didn't hurt her deeply and break her to the core but it was for the best..

The only thing keeping her sane and from completely falling apart was the baby.

As for Anthony, well, the man was heartbroken to say the least.

His mind kept running with the constant thoughts that he had done something to upset her to this extent, that he wasn't making her happy, that she didnt love him anymore.

The more he thought about it, the more his heart clenched painfully. To be honest, he didn't care for it really, because his heart was Katherine's and hers alone.

He was slowly spiralling and the next few days would only be proof enough.

With the latest Lady Whistledown gossip column revealing that Marina Thompson was pregnant - hence shaming poor Colin - the Bridgertons felt that it would be better if the third eldest refrained from seeing or even been caught going near her

"Miss Thompson must be in agony over these lies." Colin said as he paced the floor of the drawing room, glancing at his older brothers and mother. "Why can I not see her?" He asked.

"Colin--"

"Listen to me, brother.." Anthony began, cutting their mother off. "The ton devours every bit of Lady Whistledown's words, it is the only thing keeping this family from shame. Because of her column, no one believes you are the father of Miss Thompson's child. But if you were to go near her, then they will presume you are responsible for her ruin and all your sisters will pay the price for your notoriety. Is this what you want?" He asked.

"No, of course not." The younger of the three brothers responded.

All of a sudden the doors to the drawing room opened and Katherine walked inside, making the Viscount stand up straight as he stared at her, releasing a shaky breath.

Benedict, who had been leaning against the fireplace, took note of this and looked between the two lovers. He knew that something had happened between them.

Anthony and his attempts to hide his emotions were a dead giveaway.

His older brother tried to appear as if all was well but it was his eyes that gave everything away as they were so full of pain and haunting thoughts.

"I came to give my support to Lord Bridgerton." The young lady said and placed a pie down on the table, not even sparring a glance at the Viscount, who stared at her with intensity.