• Chapter Forty-One •

That morning, Katherine silently ate her breakfast at the dining room table consisting of a fruit bowl and a glass of juice.

She ate in silence, picking around at the fruit as she slowly chewed while her mind raced with thoughts. It had been three days since she had last had an encounter with Anthony and ever since Benedict had told her of his brother's well-being, it made her worry.

But she could not break now, this was for their own good.

Right?

Letting out a soft sigh, she picked up some fruit with her fork only to drop it to the table with a clatter as she felt pain in her stomach.

She placed her hand against her stomach and looked down as she gently stroked her tiny bump. She frowned to herself softly but that was when a sharper pain struck her.

"Ah.." She groaned in pain and clutched her stomach. She shifted her gaze up slightly, her heart racing before she realised what could possibly be happening.

"Anna!" She yelled as tears began to flood her eyes. "Anna!"

The handmaiden rushed into the dining room with worry etched onto her face.

"What is it, Miss?" She asked only to grow concerned when the young lady looked at her with a tearful gaze.

"I need a doctor.." Katherine whispered.

She hoped that it was a simple reason for the pain that she was experiencing or anything else but the thought of possibly losing her child.

Perhaps the thought of losing Anthony was becoming too much..

She raised herself from the seat and tried to approach her handmaiden but the pain was just too much.

All of a sudden, a warm liquid dripped down her legs and that was when she crumbled to the floor. She knew what had happened..

Her piercing, mournful screams echoed throughout Hastings House as the tears streamed from her dark brown eyes.

Anna rushed forward and tried to comfort her mistress as her heart broke at the very sight before her.

Katherine's dream was to be a mother and to have it ripped away from her just like that, completely broke her.

She clutched her stomach as if it was some form of an effort to keep her baby alive..

But she knew that it was too late..

Anthony, once again, found himself drinking his feelings away

He downed his tenth glass of brandy, hoping that it would numb the heartache that he didn't want to feel anymore. It worked for a while only for him to wake up to the emotion the morning after.

This was his third night in this state and apart from the drinking, he had become a lot worse - refusing to eat and getting little to no sleep. It was so bad that Benedict had to take over his duties as Viscount.

The Viscount stared blankly out of the window of his bedroom when his eyes caught sight of the carriage with the familiar Hastings crest engraved on the door.

His heart skipped a beat with possibilities of Katherine exiting the carriage, ready to reconcile but his hopes were instantly crushed as soon as Anna, his lover's handmaiden, exited.

She walked up to the bedroom after being allowed entry by the doorman and curtsied in greeting when she met his awaiting gaze.

"My apologies, my lord. I am here to collect my lady's belongings." She said, stating her intentions.

He nodded sadly, allowing her to begin her job as he silently picked up the baby rattle that lied on his bedside table - the object that held hope for his and Katherine's future.

After closing his eyes for a brief moment, he objectively handed the rattle to Anna, who frowned at the item. She instantly knew who it had belonged to as she had some part in raising the young lady, aside from Lady Danbury.

"I do not think that she would want to see that.." The handmaiden said hesitantly. "My lady mourns.."

"Mourns?.." The eldest Bridgerton asked with a hoarse voice.

"She was in a great deal of pain this morning and.." She trailed off slowly with a frown.

"Is she?.." He questioned slowly with a fearful look in his brown gaze, "Is our child?.." He couldn't bare to finish the sentence as his mind raced with the possibilities.

What could have possibly happened?

Was she and their child alright?

Anna was quite hesistant to tell him as she played with her hands nervously. This man was already broken and she'd hate to add to his pain..

But he deserved to know..

"She is grieving.." She said.

Anthony stared at her with an undreable expression but with the look on the handmaiden's face, was enough to reveal all to him.