• Chapter Fourteen •

Over the course of the next two days, things went relatively the same with Anthony making himself tense with stress as he tried to figure out a way to avoid Daniella marrying Berbrooke as well as to make sure that he would not speak a word of him and Katherine.

Katherine took note of this and could see how much stress he was bringing upon himself that she felt as though she wasn't doing enough to help her lover, but Anthony reassured her that her presence was enough to calm him and keep him sane during this situation.

It wasn't until the second day, where the young lady insisted that the eldest Bridgerton would not confine himself to his study and stress himself out further than he already was, and suggested that they take their horses out for a ride.

The couple trotted slowly through the park, the very same park where Anthony had rode into the branch and fell off his horse while putting most of his attention onto Katherine.

Katherine tugged on the reigns gently, making her horse come to a stand-still before she dismounted and held the reigns in her hand while rubbing its snout.

"How is your family doing?" She asked. She had become quite fond of the Bridgerton family over the past month, even more so now that she had been reunited with her best friend, Daniella .

"They are okay.." Anthony responded and he dismounted his horse and took hold of the reigns. "I cannot say the same for Daniella. I feel so helpless.." He added with a soft sigh.

The young lady reached forward with her free hand and grasped his own into hers, giving it a gentle squeeze with a soft, comforting smile.

"I am on your side.." She said.

The Viscount smiled appreciatively at his lover. "Thank you, darling."

Before any more words could be exchanged between the couple, a young lady approached them.

"Lady Hastings," She said as she came to a stop before the couple. "Did you hear of Lord Berbrooke?" She asked.

This made the couple glance toward each other before they shifted their gazes back onto the lady, with Anthony arching a brow in question.

Had Berbrooke gone through with his threat?

"He is a father to a child with one of his maids." The lady continued. "He sent them away to live on scraps and has not paid a single penny for the child."

"That poor child." Katherine said with a soft frown.

The lady nodded her head in agreement. "He fled town." She added.

The made the Viscount curious. "Where did you hear this?" He asked.

The lady shifted her gaze onto Anthony and curtsied. "Viscount Bridgerton.." She greeted. "It is in the latest Whistledown gossip column. All the ladies of the ton have been speaking of it." She answered.

The eldest Bridgerton nodded his head as Katherine sent the lady a polite smile.

"Goodbye." She said and once the lady was out of sight, she turned to her lover who had an unreadable expression on his face. "What is the matter, Anthony?.."

"Something must have happened.." He replied after a moment.

This made the young lady frown softly. "I thought this is to be good news.." She said.

"It is." He responded. "But I have a feeling that my mother had something to do with it."

She nodded with a soft and understanding smile. "Then you should go and be with your family, my love." She insisted, squeezing his hand softly.

"But we were to have a day out.." He replied with a soft frown. He didn't want to ruin their plans for the day.

But Katherine shook her head with her smile still evident on her face. "Yes, we were but family is important." She responded.

Anthony stared at her in amazement as well as admiration. "How did I deserve such luck?.." He asked with wonder.

"You have bewitched me with your charms." She teased lightly with a soft giggle. "Now I am forever under your spell."

"Hmm.." He hummed with a smile gracing his lips before he kissed her hand. "Thank you.." He said.

"Go.." She ushered him with a giggle and watched as he mounted his horse before mounting her own and parted ways until the evening.

" She ushered him with a giggle and watched as he mounted his horse before mounting her own and parted ways until the evening

After returning her horse to the stables, Katherine entered Hastings House where her brother awaited her arrival.

"I see that you and the Viscount have been in each other's company." Simon stated as he walked along the hallway beside her before they climbed the stairs.

"Yes." Katherine answered, entering her bedroom where she sat herself down at her vanity and began to tend to her hair. "He is courting me."

The Duke stared at his sister as he stood a few feet behind her, staring at her reflection in the mirror. "I do hope that you are careful, sister.." He said.

"Careful?" She repeated and twisted herself around in the chair to look at her older brother. "I've learned perfectly well on how to handle myself. As you recall, you were not there to protect me from father." She said and turned herself back around.

"Katherine, you know--"

"Yes, Simon, I know what he did.." She cut him off in mid-sentence and looked at him through the reflection of her mirror. "And he will burn in hell, but Anthony will not hurt me."

Anthony?

This made Simon narrow his eyes at his younger sister, who did not seem to notice her small slip-up.

"Anthony.." He repeated.

"We have become familiar with each other.." She answered.

But that was all that the Duke needed to know..