• Chapter Thirty-Two •

She sat in bed later that night nervously playing with her hands as the memory of Benedict kissing her haunted her every thought.

"I went to Lord Granville's manor.." She announced softly as Anthony climbed into bed beside her.

"Oh?" He questioned.

She nodded her head slowly. "He promised to mentor your brother." She said. "It was quite a party he had.." She added with a frown.

Anthony assessed her silently for a moment. She had been quiet ever since she came home from wherever she went, where he now knew was the Granville Manor. But it was as if something was troubling her..

"Is something wrong?" He asked softly.

The young lady remained silent for a brief moment before she answered. "The modiste.." She began slowly. "She.. She said something silly.."

This sparked the Viscount's curiosity as he arched a brow at her, waiting for her to continue further.

"She said that your brother and I burn for each other.." She said slowly, looking up to see his reaction.

Needless to say, he was shocked. Why would Madame Delacroix say something so absurd like that?

"Oh.." He responded quietly.

"I do not." The dark haired girl said. "I love you. Benedict and I are just good friends.."

Silence fell over the bedroom as the couple silently stared at one another.

Anthony didn't know how to feel. He didn't know whether he should be jealous that his brother could have possible feelings for his lover; it was possible as he had taken a liking to her over two months ago.. But Katherine just said that she loves him, so there wasn't anything to worry about and get worked up over..

Right?

As for Katherine, she watched for a reaction of any sort and even tried to get a read on any flash of emotion in his brown eyes, but she had found nothing. With a soft sigh and leaned over and blew out the candle on her side of the room before she lied down.

That was when he spoke.

"Darling.." The eldest Bridgerton called softly, slipping his hand into hers and lacing their fingers together. "Thank you for telling me." He said and leaned over to kiss her lips lightly.

She forced a soft smile, giving him a quick glance before she turned around, cuddling up to him with her back against his chest. "We do not lie to each other.." She said quietly.

Guilt crashed into her like a tsunami as she had went against her own vow by lying to him about the kiss.

The following morning, she quickly got herself dressed and raced down the staircase as she slipped her gloves on

She was hoping not to run into Anthony but of course, fate had other plans.

"Katherine, darling." He called to her just as she had reached the front door of his home. "What is the rush?" He asked with a soft smile.

"I need to go.." She answered.

The Viscount frowned. "Go?.." He repeated.

"Simon needs me.." She replied quickly and turned towards him only to feel guilty as she saw the frown on his face. "Please understand.. I will be yours as soon as this is over." She added.

He nodded, understanding that she had to be there for her brother. "Go.." He ushered her softly but frowned deeply when she didn't hug him - let alone kiss him - farewell until later.

There was that feeling again.

Guilt..

She stood outside, with her back against the door, breathing deeply as she closed her eyes. She could not stand lying to Anthony but she did not want to hurt him at the same time.

She loved him with every fibre of her being.

A tear slipped as her mind went back to her deceit. She knew that she would have to tell him eventually but she couldn't bring herself to.

She quickly wiped her tears and made her way to the Mondrich home where she would meet with her brother.