• Chapter Thirty-Nine •

That night, the couple sat at the Bridgerton dining room table with the Featherington family. They remained silent, merely listening in on Lady Featherington sing Marina's praises as well as planned on honeymoon destinations since Colin loved travelling.

"I'm sensing a honeymoon in foreign parts." Lady Featherington said before she turned her attention to a very quiet Viscount. "What think you, Lord Bridgerton?" She asked.

Anthony shifted his gaze to her and shook his head slightly. "I would not like to speculate." He answered with a small polite smile and glanced to his side to find Katherine covering her mouth.

Ever since the food had been set on the table and she had caught a whiff of it, a wave of nausea had been washing over the young lady as she tried her hardest not to throw up.

Anthony frowned softly with concern and leaned towards her ear as she kept her eyes closed, breathing in slowly in attempt to ease the nausea.

"Darling?.." He whispered into her ear.

"Yes, my love?" She answered after a moment.

"Are you alright?.." He asked. He had gotten more concerned and protective since finding out about the pregnancy that morning.

She shook her head lightly at his question. "I'll be fine.." She responded.

"If you wish to leave, tell me." He said softly and squeezed her hand gently from under the table.

She nodded her head. "We cannot make it obvious." She replied and turned to face him. "We can stay. I will be fine."

Anthony nodded slowly, watching his lover with worry before he tuned back into the conversation at the table.

00:00

She turned her gaze away from Anthony's pocket watch on the bedside table and pulled her knees up to her chest, wrapping her arms around them as she got lost in her thoughts.

"Are you alright?" Anthony asked as he stepped into the bedroom, placing a cup of tea down next to her that he had asked Anna to prepare.

"Yes.." Katherine replied with a distant look in her dark brown gaze.

He frowned softly and took a seat next to her on the bed, staring at her as he waited for her to continue.

"Just thinking.." She said after a moment of silence.

He tilted his head curiously. "About?.." He asked.

"Our baby.." She answered.

A soft smile graced the Viscounts lips as he leaned closer with interest. "What about our baby?" He asked.

"How our baby will look.." The young lady responded. "Will it be a boy or a girl.. And if you will be in my life.."

The smile slowly disappeared from his face as a frown took over. "What do you mean?" He questioned softly.

All of a sudden, she moved and stood up from the bed, leaving him watching her with confusion.

"I am with child.." She said. "Yet, you have no intention of marrying me."

A soft sigh escaped from his lips as she waited for his response but when she had got nothing, she turned and walked towards her bedroom door only to be stopped by him.

"We agreed that we would marry towards the end of the season.." He said. "You were happy with the date.."

"I was.." She replied. "But you could not care less about me or our child. The minute that you found out that I was with child, you should have applied for a special license."

"Where is this coming from?" He asked, he was confused at the sudden change of emotion towards him.

Everything had been fine between them since the issue with Benedict, so what could have possibly changed?

"Anthony, we have been breaking every social rule.." She said. "And I accepted it.. I love you and I would risk everything for you but you seem so happy with ruining me."

"What?.." He questioned and shook his head in protest. "No."

With a heavy sigh, Katherine moved herself around him and walked towards the door.

"Katherine, stop.." Anthony said and took hold of her hand. "We must talk.."

"I am not leaving. This is my home." She said and opened her bedroom door before she turned towards him. "You are leaving."

He stared at her in shock. What had he possibly done to bring on this sudden change.

"Darling--"

"Go." She said, cutting him off.

He shook his head slowly. "Can we please discuss this?.." He pleaded.

"Leave, Anthony.." She said and slid the engagement ring off her finger and handed it over to him.

He stared at the item of jewellery in his hand before looking at her with tearful brown eyes.

"Katherine.." He began. "What did I do? Please, tell me.. This cannot be over.."

"It is." She said. "For good."

"I do not understand.." He replied. "We were fine, everything was alright."

She closed her eyes and pursed her lips, releasing a heavy breath. "We were because I did everything to make you happy." She responded. "Now leave. This courtship and engagement is over."

"Katherine, let me fix this.." He pleaded as his tears threatened to spill over.

"Leave." She said.

"Darling--"

"Leave!" She repeated with more force to her tone.

A single tear slipped from the eldest Bridgerton's eyes before he silently took hold of his coat and proceeded to walk towards the door. But just before he left completely, he paused by his lover and looked at her as she refused to meet his gaze.

"I love you, Katherine.." He said before he stepped out of the bedroom.

As soon as he had, Katherine closed the bedroom door behind him and closed her eyes as the tears she fought so hard to hold back, began to fall as her heart broke into pieces yet again.

She leaned her back against the door with a small sniffle and placed her hands against her stomach, holding it protectively as she stared down.

"It is just us.." She whispered as she rubbed the small bump delicately. "You are mine.."

Tears were streaming down from her dark brown gaze and she took in a deep, shaky breath as she leaned her head back against the door, cradling her bump in her hands.

"I will never let anyone hurt you.." She said.