• Chapter Forty-Eight •

Over the next three days, Katherine had fully settled into her new place of residence with her husband and the newlyweds had endulged in marital bliss ever since.

There was a concert to be held at the Opera House that evening which required the Viscount and Viscountess' attendance.

The young lady sat in front of her vanity as she placed her earrings into her ears, before her eyes landed on the baby rattle.

She stared at it and absent-mindedly placed her hand on it as a small frown graced her features.

She was so consumed by her thoughts that she did hear her husband approach her until she felt his hand rest lightly on her shoulder, instantly tearing her away from her haunting thoughts.

"Hi, darling." She greeted softly.

Anthony leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to the top of her head. "My love." He greeted with a soft smile before he had set his own gaze on the rattle.

Tears slowly began to flood Katherine's eyes as he shifted his gaze from the baby rattle to her.

"I am here for you.." He said softly.

She raised her hand and placed it on top of his that rested on her shoulder. "I am here for you.." She repeated the same words to him. "We have both lost our baby.."

"I know.." He responded and knelt down beside her, wrapping his arms around her in a comforting manner.

The Viscountess gave her husband a small smile and brought his hand to her lips, where she lightly kissed his - still - slightly bruised knuckles. "I'm just glad to have you by my side." She said softly. "My husband."

The Viscount leaned forward and kissed her lips softly. "We can always try for another when we are ready.." He said.

A soft giggle escaped her lips. "We gave it a try twice this morning." She said as her smile broadened into a teasing one.

"And we can give it another try and make it three.." He replied in between each kiss that he placed against her lips. "Four.. Five times."

She giggled against his lips and pulled away slightly to cup his face. "Tempting.." She said with a soft hum. "But we have to leave soon. The concert, remember?"

He nodded his head with a childish pout before he got back onto his feet while Katherine stood to her own and turned her back to him.

"Mind buttoning me up?" She asked.

"Of course." He answered and moved his fingers towards her dress to fasten the buttons.

Katherine wore a black dress with sleeves that were longer than the length of her arms. It hugged her upper body just right before flowing freely to the ground with jewel patterned embroidery scattered throughout.

As the Viscount fastened the buttons, she closed her eyes, breathing heavily as his warm, soft breath fanned her neck.

"You look beautiful." He whispered into her ear, his lips lightly brushing against it which made her shudder in delight.

"Hmm.." She hummed in delight. "All for my husband."

Anthony spun her around gently and leaned down to kiss her lips. "You spoil me, darling." He said.

"And the more you flirt with me, the more I'm not interested in attending." Katherine responded.

"We don't have to.." He replied suggestively before he began kissing at her neck.

A soft moan escaped her lips as her eyes fluttered close. "Anthony Bridgerton.." She said almost breathlessly and cupped his face, forcing him to look at her. "We have to go." She said.

The Viscount gave a childish pout before obliging. He slipped into his coat as Katherine slid on her gloves and soon the happy couple were headed towards the Opera.

After greeting members of the ton and engaging in conversation with Lady Danbury and Lady Bridgerton, Katherine was soon lead up to the Bridgerton box by her husband where they both took their seats just as the concert had begun

About half an hour had passed by - leaving only two and half more to go - when the Viscountess let out a soft sigh. "I regret my earlier choice of words." She whispered to her husband. "This is boring."

"I know, darling.." The Viscount replied.

She turned to him with a mischievous look in her dark brown gaze. "We could have our own fun.." She suggested.

Anthony turned to her with a grin, humming softly in agreement as he squeezed her hand lightly.

Before Katherine could utter another word, she noticed a panicked Daniella from across the room, seated in the box beside her brother.

She turned her head to face them directly, only to see the brunette rush out while Simon remained in his seat.

"Darling?" The eldest Bridgerton questioned.

"I'll be right back." The young lady said and quickly got up from her seat to run after her best friend.

As she ran down the hallway, she made sure to check every room that she had passed by in hopes that her sister-in-law would be inside one of them.

She was just about to give up when she had come across the last room, only to find Daniella holding a bloodied towel with tears in her eyes.

The Viscountess immediately knew what had happened.

She rushed forward and pulled the Duchess into her embrace as her heartbroken sobs began to fill the room.

Daniella wanted so much to be a mother, just like Katherine, and now that she had bled gave her confirmation that she was not pregnant.

The young lady comforted the brunette, knowing exactly what she was going through.

Lady Bridgerton entered the room moments later, causing for the Katherine to step aside and let the mother continue to console her daughter.

"I'll have the coachmen bring the carriage around." She announced softly and left the room.

But before she had actually exited the Opera House, she made sure to stop by her brother's box where she had still found him seated.

Daniella's soft cries could still be heard and she knew that he had heard them as well.

"I suppose you must be thrilled that Daniella is not with child." Katherine said with disappointment clearly evident in her tone.

"You honestly paint me as a monster, dear sister?" Simon asked, not even bothering to face his younger sister.

"How can I not?" She questioned. "You are sitting here while your wife is crying her eyes out. You are her husband, you should be comforting her." She scolded softly.

The Duke remained silent, merely swallowing thickly as he continued to stare at the stage where the concert took place.

"Simon, we shared the same father.." The Viscountess began with a small sigh. "He was a ruthless man. I just hope that you do not turn out like him.. Do not let him and what he did, ruin your happiness while he rots in the ground." She said and lightly placed a kiss to the top of his head.

"I do love you but sometimes you can be so dense." She added.

"I love you too." He answered quietly, indicating to the younger sibling that his mind had begun to wander elsewhere.