• Chapter Four •

The following morning, Katherine decided to take a walk in the park. She took in the beauty of the scenery around her and admired all the different blends of greens of the grass and leaves of the trees to the shades of whites, pinks and yellows of the flowers.

In while doing so, she didn't take note of a horse approaching her until she had heard it neigh. She immediately brought herself to a halt and looked at its rider.

"Are you trying to kill me?" She questioned with an arched brow.

The rider, being none other than the Viscount himself, looked at her apologetically. "It was not intentional." He replied. "Apologies."

The young lady nodded her head and gave him a brief smile. "It is fine." She responded.

Without another word shared between the two, the pair passed by each other, only to look over their shoulders where they had locked gazes. It appeared as if time had slowed down as they stared at each other, neither one of them even denying that there was in fact a spark between them and that it would soon ignite.

Seeing that Anthony was no longer focused on his riding, Katherine noted that his horse was walking towards a tree that had a low-lying branch. He would surely hit it if did not turn back around in time.

"Viscount!" She exclaimed. "The branch!"

It appeared as if Anthony had been released from whatever dream-like state he was in and turned around only to be hit in the face by the branch, making him fall off his horse.

Katherine's eyes widened slightly before she ran towards him and knelt down beside him as he groaned, wiping a bit of blood that trickled from his grazed cheek.

"Keep still." She instructed, making sure that he remained in his seated position that he had pushed himself into after his fall.

She retrieved her handkerchief and gently pressed it towards the graze to rid it of the blood that had seeped past. Although her pressure was delicate and gentle, the Viscount winced slightly as the material touched his wound.

"I'm sorry." She apologised with a soft frown, immediately retracting her hand once he had winced.

"It is quite alright." He replied softly.

Nodding softly, she placed her handkerchief against the wound once more – even more delicately and gentle than before – as she assessed him. She was quite close to the Viscount and took the liberty to study his features. He was very handsome, that much was certain.

"Did I distract you?" She teased lightly, wiping away the last bit of blood from the graze.

"Yes." He answered immediately which caused the young lady to smirk slightly. "I guess I did deserve it." He added.

"Well, my apologies, my lord." She said with a smile.

A smile graced the eldest Bridgerton's lips. "There is no need to apologise." He responded sincerely.

And that was when their gazes met.

Only this time, the two were mere inches away from each other which made it all the more tempting.

Katherine quickly pulled her handkerchief away from his cheek, breaking their eye contact as Anthony cleared his throat, composing himself.

"Thank you, Lady Hastings." He said gratefully and got to his feet before helping her up.

Katherine smiled softly with a nod. "Please, do be more careful, Viscount." She said, giving him one last smile before she walked off.

The Viscount watched her retreating figure before he mounted his horse once more, quickly glancing back over to the young lady before he took his leave.