His Wish, Her Promise

Hastinapura

Hastinapura

"Yuvaraj's room!"

Devika was numb for a while. A mixture of emotions passed through her.

How happy she could have been right now! Yet how empty she actually was! She was standing so close to his existence, his memories, everything that belonged to him, - yet was unable to get even a single glimpse of his serene, smiling frame!

As if he was too close, yet she failed to touch him!

Why this irony of fate?

"Yuvaraj Yudhishthira was the eldest of those five Princes right, who have died in Varanavata fire?" Valandhara enquired.

They had not died! Devika felt like protesting. She had to apply all her patience to hold it back.

The time has not yet come! None except Krishna knew when it would!

"Is it due to his untimely death by accident that everybody thinks this room is inauspicious?" Devika heard Valandhara asking again.

"There is much more into it, Rajkumari! Something that neither can I say, nor would you believe. Our Yuvaraj was a gem of a person! Unfortunate for him that not everyone realized his true value in this Hastinapura!"

Devika looked at her with surprise and pride. She had heard from Krishna that the people of Varanavata also had expressed same kind of love to their Yuvaraj. A reflection of genuine admiration in the maid's eyes made her feel proud of him. How blessed he was to earn such a love from the commoners! And how blessed she herself was, to love him!

"Pray, tell me more about him, Aarye!" Devika pleaded, "Why did he have to go to Varanavata?"

"He was too good for himself, Rajkumari!" The maid was now in tears, "He loved us like his own family members and was equally loved back by entire Hastinapura. Something not everyone could bear with!"

Devika's jaw tightened. She had guessed it right. It was Yudhishthira's growing popularity among the subjects that had frightened Duryodhana. What else could he do except building the house of lac to remove Yudhishthira from his path?

Coward! Devika bit her lips in disgust. That vile Prince definitely knew that he could not stand the five brothers in a direct war! Even with his group of hundred!

"Since then, I have willingly taken the charge to supervise this room. The key stays with me all the while as his only memory!" The maid finished, wiping tears from her eyes.

Devika could not resist tears in her own eyes now. How could she express her gratitude to this lady for protecting her Yudhishthira's memory in this land of murderers, with so much love and care?

"Mata," she gently held the maid's palm within hers, "would you please give me permission to see his room once?"

"I apologise to you, Shivi Kumari! But I do not want my Yuvaraj to be dishonoured by any way anymore! Opening his chamber would displease many and will invite unwanted trouble. Let him rest in peace!"