A Solution

Devika lay down on her bed peacefully, trying to drown inside herself. She let everything that happened since morning sink into her slowly.

Was her sudden meeting with the Kuru Prince just a coincidence or something more than that? A meeting occurred in front of Lord Somnatha could not be without a purpose, she felt. What did Bhagawana indicate to her?

She closed her eyes to contemplate. The first thing that came to her vision of mind was a spear, that arrived like a messenger to her, and then the spearman whose very first sight made her breathless for a while.

She smiled to herself as she opened her eyes. Almost in a trance, she rose from the bed and sat in front of a large mirror. As if she needed to know what he saw in her!

It must not be that bad, she thought, remembering his words and his eyes that had held admiration for her.

"I know that you too believe in the same, Rajkumari! Your action has already spoken for that!"

His serene voice rang into her ears again, making her smile again. She lowered her eyelids, not seeing the reflection of her cheeks that were turning red.

"Devi!" Mitravinda's voice brought her out of the trance. She turned around and found Revati, Rukmini, Satyabhama and Bhadra too accompanying Her.

"What has happened to you, sister?" Mitravinda sat close to Her distant cousin, "we have called you at least thrice but you couldn't hear!" Her lotus eyes narrowed, betraying mischief, "in which thought you are lost?"

Devika bit her tongue. Was she that much lost in her thoughts? This was for the second time she became unmindful to everything around her! Why was this happening again and again?

"Also, what made you smile and blush at your own reflection in mirror?" Bhadra joined in, "as if you are seeing not yourself but someone else there?"

"Nothing!" She turned grave to hide her embarrassment. "Have all of you come here to attack me with your questions?"

The five women giggled together. Devika felt more embarrassed.

"Didi!" She whined with a pout.

"Alright, alright!" Satyabhama caressed her with affectionate smile. "Let's then tell what we have come to share with you." She put both Her arms around Devika's neck, "do you know what has happened in the evening court today?" Her voice expressed excitement that was immediately transmitted to Devika's mind too.

"What?" She eagerly asked, suddenly remembering that the robbers had been seized at afternoon and they were supposed to be presented in the evening court.

"Have the robbers admitted their crime?" She asked again.

"They did. But before Dwarakadheesha announced His decision, Bhrata Yudhishthira proposed something." Satyabhama's eyes twinkled as She willingly gave a pause and looked at Devika. The latter tried not to show any excitement, though she was all ears to hear what he said.

"He suggested to give them another chance to rectify their sins." Satyabhama continued, "He requested Dau and Dwarakadheesha to allow them to live an honest life instead of punishment."

His words to the leader of robbers flashed in Devika's memory. He did not forget his promise, even to that sinner!

"But Satya, I don't think our Devi is interested to hear further!" Revati innocently commented, pointing at her silence. "Should we continue?"

"I'm listening, Bhabhi!" Devika quickly replied, unable to suppress her curiosity anymore.
"Pray, do not leave this incomplete! Tell me what happened next! Did Bhrata and Dau agree?"

"How can They not agree with Their beloved Jyeshtha Bhrata?" Revati smiled, "and what Bhrata said was actually Their wish too! But," She paused and looked at Devika, "there was another problem."

"Which problem?" Devika wondered.

"The leader of robbers said that it would be next to impossible for them to survive after leaving robbery. For their criminal records won't let anybody trust them to give a job." Rukmini said, "how can they earn by honest means then?"

"Valid question!" Devika slowly nodded, "it will be really hard for them to find someone who can trust them. And it is equally unfair to let someone starve just for the sake of leaving adharmic path!"

"But its solution too came from Bhrata!" Rukmini smiled. Devika raised her eyes, full with question.

"He said, If Dwarakadheesha gives permission, I want to take this praja of His to Hastinapura, as my charioteer!"

"Charioteer!" Devika exclaimed. How fortunate that robber was to drive that chariot whose wheels refused to touch ground due to DharmaPutra's presence on it!

"Yes! Bhrata took the responsibility to teach him how to drive a chariot, too." Mitravinda continued, "and everyone happily agreed.

Devika held her breath in awe, but did not speak. What a perfect decision! What else could be better for returning to Dharma's path than to serve DharmaPutra himself?

The others observed her reaction minutely. Amused, They exchanged knowing glances. Their intention of narrating the entire thing to her had succeeded!

"What are you thinking again?" Rukmini raised Her eyebrows mischievously to Devika.

"How generous and forgiving Bhrata and Dau are, aren't they?" She managed to speak.

"And our Jyeshtha Bhrata?" Bhadra innocently asked.

"He is Their brother after all! And I know that the five of Hastinapura are inspired from the Two of Dwaraka only! How can he be different then?" Her eyes expressed love for the Two she adored as her Brothers. But within her heart there was admiration for someone else too, which she tried to hide but could not do so from the divine pairs of lotus eyes staring at her.

"Bhabhi! Jiji!" Little Subhadra hurried in, making all the women look at her.

"What happened, Bhadre?" Mitravinda brought her closer.

"The royal family of Madra is going to arrive in a while!" She cheerfully announced. All the faces glowed in delight on hearing the news.

"The King of Madra must receive a grand welcome from Dwaraka!" Revati rose on to Her Feet. While leaving, She indicated Satyabhama and Devika to follow Her in preparing the Aarati Thali.