Tough Times Are Ahead

Hastinapura

"Maharaj, may I know why this excess tax has been exempted?" Yudhishthira faced the king.

"Is Maharaj answerable to you?" Duryodhana shouted.

"I did not mean that, Rajkumar." Yudhishthira's voice was calm as always, "I just wanted to know the purpose for the same. Because I am sure that Maharaj does not want his people to suffer!"

"I think Kumar Duryodhana can explain better, Yuvaraj." King Dhritarashtra said, "it is he who is in charge of the treasury."

"Yes, I am. And it is an urgency to fill the treasury right now to ensure proper functioning of the administration in recent future." Duryodhana said.

"Why has this sudden need appeared to fill the treasury, brother?" Yudhishthira looked at Duryodhana, "Is there any deficiency of wealth? And if it is so, then why did that happen?"

"Do I have to give justification to you for that?" Duryodhana jeered.

"Not to me. To them who are suffering due to this!" Yudhishthira was firm at his place.

"Yuvaraj, for your kind information, a state cannot be run properly by giving subjects too much importance than they actually deserve!" Shakuni mocked. The ministers and courtiers kept murmuring. Some of them chuckled softly which was really disrespectful.

Yudhishthira closed his eyes in pain. This insult was too much to bear with. But he knew he could not give up.

"Maharaj, may I suggest something?" He humbly asked.

The king approvingly nodded.

"Thank you, your highness!" Yudhishthira bowed, "In my opinion, improving the means of subject welfare is the best way to fill a king's treasury, instead of charging excessive taxes on them. We can develop our agriculture, animal wealth and industrial activities more, in order to compensate this lack of wealth. The income of Hastinapura will definitely see a rich growth."

"I object, Maharaj!" Duryodhana intervened, "that will take a lot of time. We need an immediate way."

"Maharaj," Shakuni intervened, "it is a tradition of many kingdoms to conquer other kingdoms and fill their treasuries. If you give permission, the four younger Pandavas can go for a digvijaya." 

"We are all ready for that." Arjuna replied respectfully, "all the wealth won will be at your feet, Maharaj."

Yudhishthira's eyes fell on Arjuna while the latter nodded, assuring him. Bhima and the twins too exchanged glances and nodded in assent.

Silence followed for a while.

"I like this idea." Said the king, "This will be beneficial from both the sides. I give you permission, princes! You may start from tomorrow itself if you want."

***

Shivi

"I don't think we should proceed further with this proposal, Suratha." Govasana said to his brother, "Devika is not willing in this marriage."

"But how will we reject a proposal sent by powerful Sindhu, Bhrata? They are not only our neighbouring kingdom but an ally of Samrat Jarasandha too." Suratha shook his head, "Rejecting this proposal might harm Shivi."

"That is our responsibility to protect Shivi from any anticipated trouble. Why should we make our daughter sad for that? No, brother! I will not do anything against her wish!" Govasana was grave.

"I think you should think practically here, Bhrata. You know well that our army will be perished in a while if king Vriddhakshatra attacks even with half his might."

Govasana could not reply. Curves of worry were visible on his brow.

Suratha looked straight into his brother's eyes, "doesn't the Shastra say that a person should be sacrificed for the sake of a whole kingdom? Should you play with your soldiers' and subjects' life, just because your beloved daughter is unwilling to marry?"

"Has the Sindhu king given a threat to attack us if his proposal is not accepted?" Govasana managed to say.

"He has not. But who can give this guarantee that he will not, after this? Bhrata, a king of his stature wouldn't have chosen the princess of a small kingdom like Shivi without a reason. A denial can be treated as insult!"

Curves on Govasana's brow deepened. On one hand, his responsibility to subjects, and on the other, his daughter's future. What would he do now?

"Bhrata," Suratha continued, "think over it! I'm sure Devika also will not want to cause a harm to the commoners of Shivi."

"I know that, Suratha!" Govasana slowly nodded, "I know my daughter will do this sacrifice if required for her kingdom! But how can I take the advantage of her goodness, being a father?"

"Worry not. There is still one thing that can be done." Suratha smiled assuring Govasana while the latter looked up to him with hope.

"If Devi's unwillingness is all that puts you in this dilemma, there is a way to solve that!" Suratha continued, "Write to Bhrata Jayasena to come as soon as possible! Only his daughter can do this for us!"

***

Hastinapura

"Uncle Shakuni has not given this sudden proposal without a thought!" Yudhishthira was visibly tensed, "I do not feel any good."

"Oh come on Jyeshtha!" Bhima patted him to cheer him up, "you are worrying like we are going to some banishment, and will never come back!"

"Dare you say that again in front of me!" Yudhishthira frowned, "God alone knows what passes on me to send you away like this, that too for fighting battles!"

"Jyeshtha, we are born warriors!" Arjuna smiled, putting his arm on Yudhishthira's shoulder, "we cannot sit idle at palace forever! One day or the other, we have to meet battlefield!"

"Why do you worry so much, Jyeshtha?" Nakula said, "Your love and blessings is the most impenetrable kavacha that we are wearing. Who can harm us?"

Yudhishthira looked at their faces one by one, all were glowing with confidence and excitement to prove their execellence.

"I can't explain it, Nakula, but somehow it feels like another conspiracy to keep us at a distance from each other! Mahadeva forbid, if something happens to any of you, it will be too late for me even to reach out for a help!" The eldest Pandava could not suppress his fear.

For a while, none could speak.

"If this is the case, then we must worry for you even more, Jyeshtha!" Sahadeva said, "we four will be together, and far away from the boundaries of Hastinapura. While you are all alone, in this suffocating politics of Kuru raajsabha!"

"Don't worry for me! I can protect myself!" Yudhishthira caressed the youngest, "you four just take care of yourselves!"

"Worry not, Jyeshtha!" Bhima grinned, "you know that I have ten thousand elephants in me now! And poison too cannot affect me anymore. I'm more than enough to protect these three! Take care of yourself!"

The four brothers touched Yudhishthira's feet, and rode on their respective chariots.