A Divine Wedding (A)

Indraprastha, dawn

Indraprastha, dawn

"Eat a little more, dear!" Mitravinda insisted, taking another morsel of curd rice. "This is the only meal you can have for the whole day."

"Not anymore, please Didi!" Devika whined. "I don't feel like eating."

"Yes, that I know very well." Mitravinda smirked. "What you feel like doing is not going to happen so soon, little one! Surya Deva has just arrived. You have to wait till he goes down!"

Devika glared, making Mitravinda laugh.

"Mitra!" Revati was heard. "You're done? We need to prepare for her mangala snana."

"Yes Jiji, coming in a while!" Mitravinda replied and turned to Devika. "Eat fast, if you don't want Maa and Bua to scold me!"

"She won't eat like that, Mitra!" Revati chuckled. "Chant Jyeshtha's name in her ears, sing his glory to her, then only she might listen!"

"Bhabhi!" Devika pouted. "You too?"

Revati's eyes twinkled. "Well, save all blushing for the evening, sister. Now arise. See who has come to meet you!"

Before Devika could wonder who it might be, an excited Ratnavali came running and embraced Devika.

"Ratna!" She exclaimed. "You came!"

"How could I not, Rajkuma... sorry, Maharani?" Ratnavali beamed. "Maharaj's charioteer himself went to bring me here."

"Indrasena went to Shivi?" Devika exhaled, mentally thanking him and Kunti who promised to her.

"You alone came, Ratna?" She again enquired.

Ratnavali understood her silent question. "Jeevaka Kaka also came. Don't worry." She patted Devika's hand.

"Now happy, future Queen of Indraprastha?" Mitravinda smiled. "Finish the meal now, at least in honour of your friend!"

Devika smiled, letting Mitravinda feed her more.

***

Yudhishthira's mansion

Turmeric paste went invisible against Yudhishthira's golden skin as soon as it was applied on him. It was hard to say whether turmeric had adorned him or his natural beauty adorned it instead.

"This ritual could be skipped." Nakula remarked. "Jyeshtha is already so handsome that turmeric cannot add anything more to it."

"Wrong placement of comment, Nakula!" Sahadeva gave his twin a mock glare. "Jyeshtha doesn't want to hear this from you but from someone else! You understand, right?"

"Of course I do." Nakula chuckled. "Should I call Bhabhi here to repeat what I said?"

"You two don't have any other work since dawn, right?" Yudhishthira glared at both.