Swayamvara

Disclaimer: Do not read and comment if you don't agree with authentic Mahabharata and believe in popular misconceptions and serials/fictions. What I write below is backed by research. So if you are searching for fictional drama and not the truth, please don't proceed. Read only if you respect truth and want to learn the truth.
__________________________________________

Kampilya

The raajsabha had been decked up with blue lotuses that spread their fragrance in the entire ambiance. At the center of the court, lay an ornate bow, along with five arrows beside it. Sitting on the gem-studded golden thrones, all royal guests stared at the bow, their excitement peaked up.

"This is the bow?" Duryodhana's lips curved in mockery. "Maharaj Drupada could have said that he wants to give away his daughter so easily! What is the fun here, in such an easy contest?" He shrugged, waving casually at the bow.

"Well, how easy it is that only time can say, Kuru Yuvaraj!" Chedi King Shishupala remarked.

"Heard that the King has got it specially constructed for this swayamvara." Commented Vinda, the Prince of Avanti.

"So what? This is simply a toy bow!" Kotikasya chuckled, "Veeryashulka! Declaring her so is an insult to our valour! Which veerya is needed to string this mere toy?"

Emperor Jarasandha indicated his grandson Meghsandhi to keep quiet, seeing him going to reply. As Meghsandhi sank down to his seat, the old emperor laughed to himself, twisting his white moustache. All these boasting Kings and Princes had forgotten that Samrat Jarasandha was also present among them. And in his presence, how could those little royals even stand a chance in this assembly of kshatriyas?

At the other corner specified for the Brahmins and sages, sat five youths, whose poor appearance in deerskins and Rudrakshas was failing to hide their handsome features like fire covered under ashes. They saw everything and heard everyone's boasting. Heavy sighs escaped their sad hearts. They too were Princes of a celebrated royal clan. Yet they could not come here in their real forms! They too were valiant warriors. Yet they were not going to get a chance to participate, given these royals would be invited to try their luck first. Did alm-begging Brahmins like them even stand a chance here, among so many eligible suitors?

No one noticed them. But a pair of eyes was fixed on them only with all their grace and kindness. Krishna smiled at his cousins before nudging Balarama and Satyaki. They also looked at the Pandavas and smiled in relief. Finally, the time has come! Krishna's master plan was going to be fulfilled very soon.

"Keshava! They are..." Satyaki whispered, only to be stopped by Krishna.

"They are the heroes of the day, my friend!" Krishna smiled.

"But they are in Brahmins' garb, Keshava!" Satyaki was worried. "How would they..."

"Keep a little patience, Satyaki!" Krishna cut him off again, "You will know."