The Heart-Shattering News

Dwaraka

"What!"

Krishna rose to His Feet, His frame unusually grave. A form of Him that Satyaki had not seen even during Jarasandha's attacks.

"You heard it correct, Sakha!" Satyaki nodded, "Maharani Kunti and your cousins have..."

"This cannot happen, Satyaki!" Krishna's face had changed its colour completely.

"I would have been the happiest if I could tell you this is a rumour, Govinda!" Satyaki sighed helplessly, "but sadly it is all true. The Pandavas along with their mother have died in the fire of palace."

"What is the proof?" Krishna looked straight to his eyes, "who have seen their burnt bodies, or at least parts of them?"

"Not sure about much details. But the messenger just said that nothing could be recognized as parts of human bodies in that pile of ashes."

"Maybe the fire has been there for a much long time." Balarama commented, "even the bones have been burnt into ashes."

"Possible." Nodded Satyaki.

"No!" Krishna shook His head firmly.

"Dharma cannot die such an unheroic death, Dau! And you know that! Those Deva putras were born on Earth for a reason! How can they leave without finishing their job?"

The next moment Krishna's lotus eyes fell on Satyaki.

"Get ready, my friend! We have to go!"

"Where?" Satyaki's mouth wide opened.

"Varanavata!" Was Krishna's precise reply.

***

When Devika reached the royal palace of Dwaraka, it had been past midday. She felt unusually exhausted, not physically though. Her heart felt unbearably heavy in pain, as if something was dying inside her.

Pain for what? For leaving Shivi? Devika took a deep breath, trying to shake off those worst memories. She was in Dwaraka, the happiest place on earth now! Why there was still pain in her heart? Why could not she still feel happy?

She entered in. The guards bowed to her as always. But their gesture, as Devika felt, was much mechanical today. The palace maids of Dwaraka, many of whom she did know by their names, did not welcome her with smile today. Rather there were tears in their eyes when they bowed to her. Even the pet parrots of Krishna Bharyas did not sing happily to see her.

Devika's heart shivered in some unknown fear. Why did the abode of bliss appeared so differently? The cheerfulness that used to fill every corner of the palace so naturally, could not be sensed anymore. As if, Devika feared even to think, a deep bereavement had shadowed the entire palace!

Her heart was beating faster as she stepped into Vasudeva's chamber. He was sitting on a throne with bowed head. Devaki and Rohini were trying to console him while they themselves were in tears.

"Mama!"

All three looked up to hear her.

"Putri Devika!" Rohini managed to utter, wiping her tears.

Devika moved forward and touched their feet. She could sense that they did not bless her like they did always.

"Mama, Mami Maa, is everything alright?Why are you..." Her question remained incomplete. As if she could not dare to ask more.

Truthful Vasudeva fell silent. Devaki caressed Devika and said, "You have come just now. Must have been tired after traveling so long! Take some rest, Putri. We can talk later."

"I am not much tired, Mami Maa. I want to meet Bhrata Krishna first. Where is He?"

"He has gone outside for some urgency, Devika." Vasudeva said, "maybe it will take him few days to return."

"Balarama is here though." Rohini added, "your education will not be delayed."

Devika felt like no one was willing to tell her why they looked sad. This was the extraordinary trait of the Dwaraka people, that they never failed to shower their love on others even ignoring their own pain. But how could Devika find peace until she could learn what was paining them?

"Education can wait. Now go inside and catch some sleep. I'm telling daasi to take you to inner apartments." Devaki said.

Too respectful to pressurize the elders, Devika nodded silently.

***

On the order of Rajmata Devaki, the maids had not let anything go unnoticed to ensure Devika's rest. But sleep did not come to her. An intolerable restlessness kept her up.

Devika rose. It had been too much now. Why was no one telling her what happened in Dwaraka? She had tried with Rukmini and Satyabhama too. Both had taken her in their arms and avoided her question in their own way. They did not even tell her where Krishna had gone.

She stepped out of her room. One place was still left where she could hope to get an answer from. She walked along the long corridor until she found herself in front of a specially ornate chamber. The privet chamber of Princess of Dwaraka.

"Subhadra! Subhi!" Devika exclaimed in shock. The darling sister of Krishna was weeping silently, keeping her head buried in her pillow.

Subhadra raised her head as she heard Devika. The Princess of Shivi hurried in and took Subhadra in her arms. While caressing her back, Devika sensed that Subhadra was shedding the tears which were waiting to flow from her eyes too. Like both of them had the same grief!

The Pandavas were out of Hastinapura since a long time! Devika scolded herself for forgetting it due to her own personal intrigues. The last farewell between them flashed in her memory. She remembered how disturbed Yudhishthira was due to the political issues of Hastinapura. She remembered how unusually grave Krishna had become when they departed. Could it be something like....

"Subhi? Sister..." She could not even ask.

"They left us, Didi!" Subhadra managed to utter within her tears.

"Who...left...how?" Devika struggled to speak. The worst possibility flashed in her mind, making her limbs freeze.

"Kunti Bua and her five sons have died in Varanavata!" Her words came down like thousands of thunders put together.