Her Decision

Shivi

"Tell me, Mitra Didi!" Devika leaned forward, "why did his father have to leave his kingdom and reside in a forest?"

"Because of an unwanted mistake." Mitravinda sighed.

"Unwanted mistake!"

"Yes Devi! Kaka Pandu killed a sage couple mistaking them to be deers. For doing penance for that, he left the throne and decided to stay in Shatashringa ashrama of Himalayas, along with his two queens."

"Two queens?" Devika's eyebrows curved. "But..." She looked at Mitravinda, her question remained unuttered.

Mitravinda nodded, understanding her question. "Kaka married another wife after my Maasi Kunti. She was Mata Madri, the sister of Madra Raaj Shalya, and mother of Nakula and Sahadeva."

"Aunt of Lakshmanaa and Vijaya?" Devika thought aloud.

"Correct. She too left along with Kaka, leaving behind the five children and a helpless Maasi Kunti."

Devika could visualize a pyre. Fire had just lit up and fumes were taking away two mortals' souls towards heaven. In front of it stood five boys, shocked, puzzled, and broken. She did not miss the eldest boy, whose childhood had just burnt into ashes in the same pyre, yet who stood firm, steady in the battle of his life!

Sthira in yuddha! Just as his name signifies!

"What happened next?" She asked eagerly.

"Life became a curse to Bhrata Yudhishthira after Kaka left." Mitravinda continued, "he had to leave his birthplace, his peaceful cottage of Shatashringa Parvata, and all the things that was dear to him. Holding younger brothers' hands, he had to reach his father's kingdom."

"Hastinapura!" Devika mused, half-lost in her effort to figure out the past.

"Yes, Hastinapura, the capital of Kuru kingdom. But there was no peace in store for the five fatherless princes. Envy and hatred was all that their cousins could give them."

"I have heard that." Devika nodded, "is this due to rivalry of the Kuru throne?"

"Precisely. Duryodhana thinks that Kuru throne is his favourite toy which his father must handover to him alone. He doesn't understand the responsibility that comes with power." Mitravinda sighed, "worse, Maharaj Dhritarashtra is too attached to his son's interests to realize this!"

"But he did coronate the right person as his Yuvaraj. Did he not?"

Mitravinda smiled, "he had to, because after the grand success of Pandavas, he could not act otherwise. Also, Bhrata Yudhishthira's kindness won everyone's hearts. Denying his birthright at that time could make people displeased against the king. The Kuru Raaj is wise enough not to let that happen!"

"Understood." Devika said.

"But even this coronation could not be the end of their sufferings, Devi!"

"Why so, Didi? Who is there on Earth who can dare to harm the crown prince of Kurus?" Devika looked up in surprise.

"Rather ask who is there in Hastinapura raajsabha who does not want to harm him!" Mitravinda's smile held pain, "only except Pitamaha Bhishma, Kaka Vidura and Guru Dronacharya, there is no single person in that Sabha who doesn't stand against him!"

"King Dhritarashtra too? Isn't he like a father to the Pandavas? Doesn't Yuvaraj worship him like his own father?"

"He does. But the king is partial to his own sons. He does not see where Dharma is."

"Well, I can understand that he has a weakness for his firstborn." Devika said, "but why are the ministers and courtiers opposing the same Yuvaraj who was once adored by all of them?"

"Because loyalty is too cheap a thing for most of the people, Devi! Those ministers have sold their loyalties to Duryodhana."

"You mean he bought them with gold?" Devika felt anger rising in her slowly. Just because Duryodhana could not compete with Yudhishthira in winning subjects' hearts, he had resorted to this mean way? What kind of injustice was that?

"He did. The eldest son of king Dhritarashtra misused his authority on treasury by bribing the courtiers against my Bhrata."

"Didi, do you think that they might snatch his crown from him?" Devika could not hide her concern. She remembered the signs of worry on his face before leaving Dwaraka. Did he get any concerning news from Hastinapura that bothered him?

"If they stop just after dethroning him, know that he is fortunate, Devi!"

"Didi, what could that mean?"

"Narayana forbid, but the threat may come even on his life! None will be surprised if they are attempted to be killed again!"

"To be killed!" Devika's mouth dried, her heart raced faster, "and what do you mean by 'again'?"

"The five brothers have been growing up within murder conspiracies, sister! From the very beginning! I have not yet told you how Duryodhana tried to kill Bhrata Bhima by poisoning his food, soon after they came to Hastinapura!"

"What!" Devika stood up in excitement, anger rushing through her veins.

"How did Rajkumar Bhima survive, Didi?" She looked at Mitravinda.

"Naagraaj Vaasuki saved him by nullifying the effect of poison from his body. But Duryodhana did not stop there. The trusted charioteer of Pandavas was soon killed to hide witness of Duryodhana's misdeed. Further attempts were also done on their lives but all of them failed, thanks to Yuyutsu's intervention."

"Who is Yuyutsu?" Devika had never heard that name.

"King Dhritarashtra's son from a maid of Maharani Gandhari. A genuinely good soul." Said Mitravinda, "it's due to his and uncle Vidura's help my five cousins are alive till now!"

Devika nodded absent-mindedly. Her mind was lost in Hastinapura. How was he doing there? Was he alright? Devika completely forgot about her own problem regarding Jayadratha. All that mattered now was his well-being, his safety. She fervently prayed that he remained safe, along with his family! Mitravinda noticed that change in her and smiled. Her mission had been accomplished!

"My sister," Mitravinda took Devika in Her arms, "hope now you will understand, there are many people in the world whose sufferings are much more than yours, and yet they stand firm at their positions without breaking down! That's the lesson from life, Devi!" She patted Devika affectionately, "Do not give up, dear! Fight back! I promise you, if you can do this, God will be there to help you in reaching your goal!"

Her encouraging voice brought Devika back to her present situation. She remembered the problem she was in. But now it felt nothing, absolutely nothing in front of what he faced!

How cruel fate seems to a prince who was born in a forest, lost father in childhood and grew within conspiracies of cousins! Even after bearing this much pain, if he can still smile so calmly, care so lovingly, and struggle for other's good, then why cannot I do the same? Devika felt a strong urge to fight back. Not for herself but for him! He really needed someone to stand by his side. To share his pain, his burden, and his responsibility! Someone to whom he could open up himself! Devika decided to be that special one for him!

But the path was not easy! In her way there already stood Jayadratha, and her father's helplessness. But she sensed that neither of these could weaken her anymore! She felt a surge of energy that flooded away every other worry! She now knew that she could cross any amount of hurdle to stand by him! To become his Shakti! And for becoming his strength, she had to overcome her own weakness first!

When flood comes in a river, even the biggest mountains cannot stand her flow! Who is that Jayadratha in front of my love!

"I won't give up, Mitra Didi!" Determination flashed in her usually calm voice, "I will fight back! I have to!"

For you, o my Love, I will do what is unthinkable for others! I know the path is full of thorns, but I don't fear! Let this pain keep reminding me of my journey to you!