Her Battle Begins

Royal street, Shivi

Royal street, Shivi

Devika's mood went off in the very early morning.

It was her regular habit to roam around the city with her favourite horse, especially at this time of morning. The soothing breeze of river Chandrabhaga purified her soul. She received her energy of entire day from this morning outing. At the same time, it used to make her aware of the condition of subjects too. The Princess loved to meet and greet each of them at the premises of Narayana temple, after worshiping the Lord.

But today was so different.

As soon as Devika pulled the reins, she heard another horse's neigh beside her.

"Pranam Rajkumari!" The rider bowed.

"Pranam." Devika said but her eyes narrowed. The man did not seem to be from Shivi.

"Where are you going? Any urgency?" He asked. Though his tone was polite enough, Devika did not like this unnecessary curiosity.

This stranger must have been following her since long, she guessed. But why? Who was he?

"I love traveling through my kingdom." She replied in short, and pulled the reins again, wishing to move ahead soon.

"I see." The man again moved with her. "Do you travel so long everyday?"

Devika did not feel like replying anymore. Now she was sure that the man was new in Shivi. Each of her subjects knew this and appreciated her for watching over them every morning.

"Rajkumari, you seem to feel alone. May I accompany you?"

"No, thanks." She formally replied. "I can go myself."

"Apologies, my Princess! But you should not take so much of stress now. Your wedding is nearing."

An annoyed Devika turned to him.

"I do not consider this stressful for me. If you have another work, kindly leave for that. I'm being late!"

The man half-joined his hands holding the reins. "Why are you getting angry, my Princess? Pardon me if I said anything wrong!"

Devika's lips pursed in more annoyance. She looked away, pulling the reins faster. But the man didn't stop following her. Devika thought she would not bother anymore, but soon she had to change that decision as few other horse-riders joined him.

She spun round.

"May I please know what you all want?"

"We have been given the duty of protecting you, Rajkumari!"

"That's so kind of you. But I don't prefer taking bodyguards in my morning and evening outings. You may leave now."

"I know you don't need bodyguards. But we are ordered to take care of you. It's our honour to serve our would-be Maharani!"