The Kind Princess

"Save us, Rajkumari! Our lives are at your mercy!"

The cry of citizens of Shivi Nagari made the palanquin stop at the midway. Princess Devika Gouvasani came out removing the curtains to stand in front of the subjects who loved her dearly.

"What happened, citizens?" her tender voice soothed the distressed crowd a little.

"Maharaja has declared new taxes on us." one of the people informed, "Besides the amount we are to give every month, he has made food and clothing too taxable. With all our earnings deposited in the royal treasury, how we will survive, Rajkumari?" he sobbed.

The news left a curve on Devika's brow. As far as she knew, the treasury was suffering from no severe financial deficiency at present. Then why had her father added extra pressure on the earnings of his subjects?

"You are our only light of hope, Rajkumari!" they prayed with folded hands and tearful eyes, "Please do something before this city turns into a crematory."

"Go home, friends!" her kind smile assured the subjects, "Worry not! Leave this on me!"

The citizens left with relaxed heart, hailing the Princess who always was as kind as a mother to them. Devika turned to the bearers of her palanquin.

"Turn around." She ordered. "I have to reach the palace soon!"

"Won't you go to the temple, Rajkumari?" they asked in surprise. They had never seen the devout Princess returning from midway of a journey to the temple of Lord Vishnu whom she worshipped with all her heart.

"My Narayana is not confined within the four walls of temple, Vaahaka!" Devika said with a smile, "He is in them too who have just come to me with plead. And I can't ignore His call."

==================================
Meaning of Sanskrit/Indian words:

Rajkumari : Princess

Nagari : city

Maharaja : King

Vishnu/Narayana : God worshiped by Hindus

Vaahaka : bearer (here, of palanquin)