"Lets Return Home!"

Shivi

Shivi

"Stare at him later, sister!" Mitravinda teased. "Put the varamalaa first!"

Devika's fair cheeks turned red as she goaded back to her sense. Gently picking up the Jasmine garland she approached Yudhishthira.

How long this garland had to wait to be on her desired groom's neck!

"Stop!"

Devika's hand froze. It was her father.

"I cannot accept this!" Govasana firmly declared. "This unfair invasion into a swayamvara can be nothing less than a robbery. What eligibility does he have to deserve my veeryashulkaa daughter's hand?"

Wave of pain surfaced in Yudhishthira's eyes. A helpless sigh escaped his heart as he looked at Devika's hurt, pale face. He could feel what was going inside his beloved. But this was something from which even he could not save her.

His weapons could only overcome her external enemies. Not internal misunderstandings of her father!

Controlling her emotions, Devika faced the King.

"May I ask you, Pita, what eligibility did you see in Jayadratha that you were going to give me to him?" She calmly stated at Govasana. "Was it not robbery to abduct a Princess from her own swayamvara, in front of her father?"

"Don't talk like a fool, Devika! You might not like Jayadratha. But that doesn't mean you'll end up garlanding a random person!" Govasana tightened his jaw.

"Random person?" Devika flared up. "How come, Pita? You declared me as veeryashulkaa. You kept a condition of winning and he did fulfill that! Duely and fairly!"

"Winning a contest by keeping others in front of raised weapons, cannot be termed as valour! On which basis should I give away my daughter to him?"

Devika's eyes blazed. "He saved my honour when you could not, Pita! He proved himself worthy of my hand while my own family failed me! What more proof do you require?"

Murmurs started within the guests. Devika could guess what they were discussing. But she did not stop.

"And his valour? If hitting the target does not suffice, check the condition of your honourable Sindhu Yuvaraj's hands! His valour's proof is engraved there!" Devika pointed at a pain-striken, groaning Jayadratha who just helplessly glared at her.

"What valour? What worth? A true Kshatriya never invades into somewhere he wasn't invited!" Govasana said. "And what else to expect from the grandson of Bhishma who once abducted three girls from their swayamvara! He's carrying the same low mindset!"

Yudhishthira's heart churned in agony mixed with bitterness. Had it been someone else in place of Govasana, he would never have kept quiet.

But Devika could not tolerate. Yudhishthira's family was her family now. All her fears and worries had disappeared with his victory. The brave Princess chose to become the voice of a voiceless Yudhishthira.