The Secret Message

Ujjayini, Avanti

Ujjayini, Avanti

The temple of Jyotirlinga Mahakaleshwara vibrated with divine aura as the continuous chanting of Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra was going on. Today Avanti was going to observe a special puja of Mahakala, the Ishta Deva of this land, on the occasion of Princess Mitravinda's swayamvara.

"Jai Mahakaal! Anybody here needs flower ornaments for the Lord?"

The voice was some stranger's, but powerful enough to draw the head priest's attention. He came out of the main entrance, only to find a dark-skinned young man, seemingly a flower vendor.

"Who are you?"

"My name is Vanamali. I sell flowers." The man replied. "Heard that today is Rajkumari's swayamvara. So I came here in hope for some good sell."

The head priest observed Vanamali for a while. He was wearing a gargeous lotus garland round his neck. Flower armlets adorned his both arms. A string of fragrant Jasmines was aesthetically placed on his curly hair, along with a peacock feather.

"These flower ornaments are made by you?" The priest asked, pointing at them.

Vanamali nodded with a humble smile.

"Nice. Our Rajkumari is very fond of flowers. I'm sending message to the palace. If she is interested to buy anything, I shall let you know."

"Aacharya, may I send one garland to the Princess as a sample of my work? So that she can see and decide."

"That will be better." Nodded the priest. "Come with me."

Vanamali's lips curved into a smile.

***

Mitravinda's chamber

"Didi!" Devika rushed in. "Maids told me that a flower vendor awaits you. They say his handmade flower jewelry are matchless and will suit you the most. He has also sent you a garland to see."

"Flower vendor?" Mitravinda's eyebrows met. "Who is he? Does anybody know him?"

"Dasi said his name is Vanamali. He is not from Avanti." Devika informed.

"Vanamali!" Mitravinda rose to her feet in excitement.

"What did he send?" She gasped. "Show me!"

"Relax! It is coming." Devika indicated a maid who bowed to both of them and left. Mitravinda stared at the door, her breath raced. She could hardly wait for the maid's return.

"Pranam Rajkumari! Vanamali sent this for you."

It was a lotus garland, scented with sandalpaste.

How did he know that lotus was her favourite? Who is he?

Mitravinda almost snatched the garland from the maid's hand. She began checking each part of it carefully, as if searching for something.. Her face lit up after a while.