An Invitation

Shivi

"Rajkumari! Rajkumari!" Ratnavali rushed into Devika's chamber.

"What happened, Ratna?" Devika raised her eyes from the scroll that was capturing her musings in the form of a song.

Ratnavali took a deep breath as she settled herself on a nearest seat, and smilingly uttered, "invitation!"

"Of?"

"Dwaraka!" Ratnavali's eyes glowed.

"Really!" Devika rose to her feet in excitement and hugged Ratnavali tight the next moment.

"You don't know how happy I'm to learn this! It has been months I have not seen my brothers and sisters!" Devika's eyes brimmed over joy. How dearly she had been missing her second home!

"I know, Rajkumari! This is why I rushed to you after hearing this from Maharaj."

"You are my real friend, Ratna!" Devika squeezed Ratnavali's cheeks lovingly, "but invitation for what?"

"Dwarakadheesh is going to marry Satrajit Kumari in next week!"

"Bhama Didi's wedding!" Devika felt a surge of love and joy, with a little mischief too. An ample of chance to tease Satyabhama along with Krishna!

And to be teased as well! She blushed absent-mindedly.

He would also attend the wedding! Wouldn't he?

***

Dwaraka

"I'm so happy for you, Didi!" Said Devika, embracing Satyabhama. "Finally this day came!"

"It did, Devi!" Satyabhama smiled, "and that reminds me, you too are going to become a bride soon, right?"

Devika's facial expression changed in a while.

"Who told you?" She asked, frowning.

"Your Bhrata only. Sindhu Yuvaraj has asked for your hand." Satyabhama stared at her, making an apperant naive face.

Devika closed her eyes in frustration. Oh Narayana! Had everybody come to know about this? Had Pandavas too learnt it from Krishna? What would he think if he heard this? What if he sees her as a would be wife of Jayadratha from now on? Her brow curved in worries. Satyabhama watched silently and laughed to Herself.

Girl, you don't even know what Our plans are!

"Nothing has been finalized yet, Didi!" She managed to reply, "definitely you all will come to know once it is. I'm never going to marry without the presence of Dwaraka family!" She drew a smile forcefully on her face.

"Leave it! Today is your day! And I have a lot of preparations to do!" Devika cheerfully added, "Revati Bhabhi and Rukmini Didi are awaiting me! Hence my soon-to-be Dwarakeshwari! Kindly give me permission to take your leave!"

Satyabhama giggled, patting Devika's cheeks. Devika hugged Her once again and flew away like a cheerful bird.

***

Devika walked along the ornate corridor in hurried step. She casually noticed a palace maid, carrying a Puja thali in her hand. Many other maids were rushing through the corridor in busy steps to ensure that nothing lacks in the preparation.

Before Devika could reach Rukmini's chamber, a sudden sound made her froze in her steps.

Something had fallen down!

Devika turned around, to check what it was. She found that maid carrying puja thali standing still, pale in fear.

The Puja thali had fallen on ground. Maybe she had collided with another maid or a pillar. Realizing that she was feeling scared of getting punished, Devika stepped forward to comfort and assist her in arranging everything. But before she could reach the maid, another pair of arms reached out to the fallen things. Devika saw those golden-hued arms arranging everything soon very efficiently and handing the golden plate over to the maid, with a kind smile.

How do you always become so down-to-earth, that too so effortlessly, My Love! Devika stared fondly at Yudhishthira's face, unblinking.

"I..I am so..sorry, Yuvaraj!" Said the maid, still shivering in fear.

"It's alright, Bhadre! Such mistake could happen to anyone, including us." His serene smile was assuring and comforting.

"But I have made everything inauspicious!" The maid uttered, a bit relived but still in a deep regret for destroying the sacred arrangements.

"Who says falling on ground makes something inauspicious? Isn't earth our Mother, Bhadre?" Yudhishthira said, "Earth is Lakshmi. Anything touched by Her can be anything but inauspicious!" He paused, remembered Satyabhama for a while and then added, "rather take it as an auspicious happening only! Maa Bhudevi has become pleased with your service and has accepted your offering at Her Feet!"

How could he voice exactly what I was thinking? He would never stop fascinating me! The princess of Shivi smiled to herself in amusement.

"Daasi," Devika came forward, "don't feel bad for this. Take it to Rukmini Didi now. She must have been waiting."

Her voice made Yudhishthira turn his head. He had not even noticed when she had come.

The maid bowed to both and left.

"When did you come, Shivi Kumari?" Yudhishthira asked after doing a namaskara to which Devika reciprocated.

"Today morning only. How are you, Yuvaraj? Is everything fine now in Hastinapura?"

Yudhishthira nodded, without failing to notice her emphasis on the word 'now'. He could sense that she did learn everything from Krishna and Balarama.

Devika stared at his face intently. It seemed to her that these six months had changed him much than how she had seen him at their first meeting. He had become visibly leaner. Signs of stress and sleeplessness were evident on his handsome face. Even his usual aura of serenity was a bit paler now.

He appeared exactly like an exhausted and wounded warrior, yet calm and steady to continue the fight!

There must be something that was taking its toll over his health and mind! Perhaps no one noticed this change, and he would have suppressed, too! But how could he escape her eyes that could see even though his soul?

Devika felt protective again. Only if she had enough power to guard him from all these...

"Shivi Kumari, do you think what I said was right?" He suddenly asked, in a very soft tone.

"About?" Devika smiled.

"About what I said to that maid few moments ago." Yudhishthira's large brown eyes fixed their gaze at Devika's face. "Do you think that I said something wrong?"

Devika's smile widened. Deep down she felt proud and honoured that he had asked for her opinion on something, for the first time!

"Bhrata says you are Dharma personified on earth! How can you be wrong, Yuvaraj?"

Did her smile and her words have some magic? Yudhishthira felt as much soothed as he had never felt in the past six months! He smiled too, making her take a deep breath in relief.

"I have to leave now, Yuvaraj!" She said joining her hands, "will see you soon in the wedding mandap!"

She turned to leave, but some invisible power had made her steps slower. Her feet was moving but heart stayed where it was!

"Shivi Kumari!" He called from back. His voice had held a strong wish of not letting her go so soon.

Devika turned round immediately.

"You want to tell me something?"

Yudhishthira smiled, "You seem too busy.  May I help you in some work?"

A part of her giggled in mischief, sensing his eagerness to be with her. Suppressing the laughter, Devika said with a naive face, "what do you want to do, Yuvaraj?" But mischief sparkled in her eyes.

"Anything you trust me to do!" He replied, "I may not be very efficient but I shall give my best." He paused a little, seeing her staring at him, and added, "only to honour your trust!"

Devika nodded, her smile could not hide a soft blush.

Let all the words be inside our hearts!
For I can read the language of your eyes!