Dwaraka

“Devi!” Krishna’s cheerful voice made Devika take her eyes off from the heavenly beauty of Dwaraka Nagari she was enjoying through the large window of her room

“Yes, Bhrata?” she responded with genuine interest. The happiness in His voice was influencing. She could guess some good news was awaiting her.

“Do you know who are coming today?” Krishna’s eyes beamed.

Devika shook her head, wondering who could be causing this much joyfulness in her beloved brother.

“Do guess!” He said, “Let me see how intelligent you are!”

“Give me at least few hints then! Do you think I know mind-reading?” Devika smiled.

“Well, they are very, very special to me!” Krishna mused with His lips curving into affectionate smile, “So much special that I can do anything for their sake! They live in me, and I live in them! They are for me, and I am for them!”

Devika got perplexed. The hints her naughty brother had given defined His family only, that included His love Princess Rukmini and His elder brother Balarama whom He lovingly called Dau. But they were already present in Dwaraka. So who else could be they who had so special place in His heart?   

But she would not accept defeat so easily! Hiding her wonderings, she glared at her brother, “What? How dare you love another women so much, given that my Rukmini Didi is going to marry you the very next week?

“Ah no, when did I say that?” Krishna made a naïve face, “I am faithfully committed to your Didi with all my heart and soul, trust me, Devi!”

“I do not!” Devika continued with her mock anger, “If this is true then where have these other ones come from, the ones so special to you?”

“Relax, my little sister!” He assured her, “They are not girls!”

Not girls? Devika kept searching in her memory. “Then? Your cowherd friends from Gokula?”

“Nope!” He shook His head, “But if I tell you, you will lose the guessing challenge!” He playfully said.

“Let it be.” Devika gave up, “I can’t hold this curiosity anymore! You tell!”

“They are my five cousins, Devi! The five valorous sons of my aunt Kunti!” finally He revealed.

“Oh, the five Pandava brothers of Hastinapura?” Devika had heard of these sons of late Kuru King Pandu but her unawareness of their bonding with Krishna did not let her guess them even for a while.

“I never knew you love them this much, Bhrata!” she said, “Now I fear you are going to forget this sister after meeting your brothers!” she pouted.

“That’s never going to happen, my dear sister!” Krishna tenderly caressed her chick, “Rather you too will like to talk with them! They are really very good from their hearts!”

“That I have understood. Otherwise how could you adore them so much?” she smiled, “Have they arrived? Don’t know why I’m feeling a little eager to meet them!”

“Kanha! Kanha!” Balarama’s voice was heard, “Come soon! They have come!”

“Coming, Dau!” Krishna replied to His brother and indicated Devika with His eyes to follow Him.