Pandavas

Krishna was not wrong

His cousin brothers were truly the kind of people anybody would love to spend time with. Each of them was very different from the others, but Devika noticed there was an unique bonding between them. She noticed them pulling each other's leg indicating at something he was different in, but affectionate acceptance of that difference was also there in that fun.

Their mother seemed to be an empress of her time. So regal and strong personality that she was, yet maintaining abundance of love to her sons. A mother whose very life resided in her children, Devika thought. Pandavas seemed to be way too devoted to their mother. Natural that it was, though, she thought. Given that their father Maharaja Pandu had passed away at their childhood only.

"Bhrata Bhima," Devika heard Krishna asking, "Why has Jyeshtha not come?"

Then only she remembered they were five, not four. Before Krishna voiced His question, Devika could not even notice that the eldest Pandava was not there. It was only the younger four chatting casually with Krishna and Balarama.

"You know how busy he is with his duties as Yuvaraja of Hastinapura, Krishna!" Bhima replied with hurt emotion, "he is not just our brother now. He is the Crown Prince, and we must respect his responsibilities!"

"Bhrata," the third Pandava put his arm on Bhima's back, "You are still angry with Jyeshtha!"

"No I am not, Arjuna!" Hurt emotion spoke in Bhima's voice, "and how dare I get angry with the honourable Yuvaraja of the Kurus! Does it really matter to that responsible person whether I am angry or not? He will keep doing his work only, not even caring for the feelings of his brothers!"

Though it was for the first time she was seeing Bhima, Devika had already realized that this strongest among men could not hide his feelings. The way he talked about his eldest clearly reflected how deeply he had been missing his brother! Devika smiled to herself. Without a heart full of love, that kind of mock anger cannot be expressed!

"What exactly has happened, Sakha?" Krishna looked at Arjuna. "Any serious problem for which Jyeshtha had to stay back?"

"Kind of," nodded Arjuna, "Maharaja has given the responsibility of beautification of Hastinapura to Duryodhana. The charge of treasury also has gone to his hands. And both the announcements were made just after the news of your wedding has reached us."

"That day the atmosphere of Raaja sabha was not in favour of Jyeshtha." Nakula added, "Even the ministers who used to support him once have suddenly turned against him. Jyeshtha somehow realized this is not the proper time for him to leave Hastinapura."

Devika listened quietly with rapt attention, trying to understand the seriousness of the situation.

"And hence he decided to stay back." Arjuna continued, "we all were disheartened enough with his strange decision. But he explained, 'This is a clear conspiracy to harm the subjects taking the advantage of my absence. I have to be here for ensuring their benefits.'"

The Kuru Yuvaraja had sacrificed to join this festive mood so easily, just for the sake of his subjects! Devika could not help admiring the eldest Pandava she had not met yet. The political situation of Hastinapura clearly seemed adverse for him as understood from what she had heard. It was not hard to realize that the absence of these four mighty brothers would even add to his difficulties, making him feel more singled out in the raja sabha. For a while, she wished she could rush there immediately for his help!

"He is right, Sakha." Krishna agreed, "in his absence the allowance and special treatment he has introduced for the handicapped, sick and jobless people will take no time to cease, given money is in Duryodhana's hand. No doubt Jyeshtha has taken a wise decision to save his praja."

"His every responsibility is only for his praja, Krishna!" Bhima groaned, "we do not even exist!"

"Who said you do not? Had his family not mattered to him could he send you four here to attend the ceremony, instead of keeping you by his side at this crucial moment?" Krishna patted Bhima with a smile, "I know you are missing him. But think from his perspective too. His absence from my wedding ceremony won't hurt any. But his absence from Hastinapura might have caused harm to poor subjects. Could you accept that, Bhrata?"

Krishna's open support to His eldest cousin added to Devika's admiration to that unseen Crown Prince. There was no doubt left in her mind about why her Bhrata Krishna loved these five so deeply!

Bhima sat silent for a while.

"Bhrata Bhima," Arjuna affectionately smiled, "don't stay dusheartened. Jyeshtha has promised us he will come after arranging everything there. You know he never makes a false promise! Trust me, Bhrata, he will definitely arrive here before the wedding!"

He would come? Devika herself did not understand why a strange feeling had begun to grab her heart in a slow yet effective way. It was a feeling she could not even name, but she knew it was going to be something pleasurable to meet such a person, maybe both for her mind and soul.

Bhima slowly nodded. "I understand, brothers! Being his brother who always thinks for others over himself, I should not be so selfish!" His voice had now turned grave.

"You are not selfish, Bhrata," Krishna patted him, "you just love your family a bit too much and that's the most adorable trait of you!"

"Krishna...."

Bhima was going to speak more but Krishna quickly cut him off, "Sakha," He turned to Arjuna, "isn't it lunch time yet?"

By the laughter He had suppressed within His large lotus eyes, Arjuna understood His intention to make Bhima cheerful.

"It is, Sakha!" Arjuna nodded, "and I am already feeling hungry enough. What has Revati Bhavi cooked, Dau?" He turned to Balarama.

"Everything that you five love. Especially sweets that are favourite of Bhima." Balarama cast a sidelong glance to Bhima and exchanged his glance with Krishna, trying to look serious.

"But Bhrata Bhima does not seem interested to have his lunch right now, isn't it?" Krishna said, "so let's go to the dining hall and tell Bhavi that he will not eat today."

"Wait, when did I say that? I was just..." Bhima sounded impatient just at the very name of food. Devika smiled again. The man who looked like a giant, was such an innocent child at his heart! She wished she could cook for him and pamper him like an elder sister would do for her little brother!

"Yes, Bhrata, you were going to tell something." Krishna reminded, making an absolutely naive face. Devika shook her head at His naughtiness.

"Whatever I was going to tell I will tell you after lunch, Krishna!" Bhima hurriedly said, and left to reach the dining hall.

The brothers burst into laughter. But the Princess of Shivi could not join them.

Her consciousness was then in a trance of someone unknown, wondering how did that caring Yuvaraja look like!