The Eldest Pandava

When the chariot reached the palace of Dwaraka, the sun was already above the head. Devika did not fail to notice that the chariot wheels touched the ground as soon as the charioteer left the reins.

This was what she was waiting to see. Now it had been confirmed that the magic did not lie with the chariot but the person himself.

Mesmerized at everything she had observed in him so far, Devika wanted to invite him to the palace of Dwaraka. It would be unfair if she could not make this man meet Krishna at least once!

"You have saved my life!" She voiced her wish, "I would like to introduce you to my family." She paused a little to gauge his reaction. Assuming agreement from his calm smile she added, "I hope you have no objection in this!"

Even before the man replied, a cheerful voice was heard, "What a pleasant surprise! You have come!"

"Yuyudhana Satyaki!" Said he with a smile, "how have you been?"

Devika raised her eyebrow. Satyaki, one of the closest friends of her Bhrata Krishna, was known to this person? But how? Who was he?

But the actual surprise was still awaiting her.

"Jyeshtha!" Four happy voices exclaimed simultaneously. Four mighty warriors rushed as if forgetting everything else around them, to be in his arms sooner! The young man opened his arms, his eyes brimming over affection for the four. Soon crossing the stairs of palace the four Pandavas reached him and embraced him so tightly that it felt like as if he was the comforting shelter they had been seeking for!

Speechless, Devika stood where she was, as if in a trance.

This was their eldest brother? The eldest Pandava? The very Kuru Yuvaraja she had longed to meet! The person for whom she had been thinking since a week was now in front of her!

"See! These Princes could not even give me the slightest chance to surprise them!" Satyaki grinned, "don't know how you five brothers can sense each other's presence even from few yojanas!"

"Sakha says we are one soul in five bodies!" Arjuna smiled, "isn't it natural then, Satyaki?"

"I know right?" The son of Satyaka smiled, nodding in agreement. "But will you be standing over here only? Madhava will be eagerly waiting to meet Yuvaraja Yudhishthira."

The five nodded as they entered. Devika too followed them from a distance, still half lost in her trance.

***

"We were waiting so eagerly for you, Jyeshtha! Hope everything is solved there in Hastinapura!" Krishna said, after embracing Yudhishthira lovingly.

"For the time being, yes." Nodded the Crown Prince, "but not sure about their future plans! Vidura Kaka is there to look after everything, but," his tranquil brow had curves, "I fear he too might get harmed by their people!"

"Worry not!" Krishna gently placed His palm over his to comfort him. "All will be well. Those who do good to others never suffer for long! Kaka will be safe there!"

They continued talking. Devika felt uneasy. She knew that she must go to Antahpura now while the others were talking here. But she hesitated in doing so without taking leave from them. They seemed too busy in their talks to even remember her presence there! Should she disturb them in between and ask for their permission to leave?

"But Kanha," she heard Balarama, "I have a question!"

"Yes, Dau?" Krishna's facial expressions changed immediately into a mischievous one.

"How come Jyeshtha Bhrata and our Devika arrived together?" Balarama looked at Krishna.

"Only they can tell that, Dau! Devi, where did you meet Jyeshtha?" Krishna's casual question embarrassed Devika as she felt everyone in the room had shifted their curious eyes to her.