A Brother's Promise

It was another fine morning in Hastinapura. Yudhishthira had just come out of the Shiva temple after performing his morning puja.

But before he could ride on his chariot, a speeding horse almost jumped over him. The horseman's face was covered but he was carrying an open sword.

Sensing upcoming danger, Indrasena rushed to guard his master, but his lifeless body fell down on the ground in the next moment. The horseman's sword then unkindly pierced Yudhishthira's chest.

"Jyeshtha!" Arjuna cried, and his sleep broke along with the dream. He recalled that he was now on the border of Sauvira kingdom, after achieving victory against its king.

He sat on his bed, sweating, his heart raced. What he had just seen was not a good omen at all!

Why did he have such a horrible dream? What happened to his brother? Worry replaced everything in him. He remembered how eager Shakuni was to send them away. What if they harm Yudhishthira in this opportunity of their absence?

Deciding quickly, Arjuna came out of the tent.

"Prahari," he called the guard, "ask the senapati to meet me."

"Rajkumar, at this late night?" He was surprised.

"Yes, at this late night. Tell him that we have to prepare for our journey right now. Tomorrow morning we will leave for Hastinapura!" His determined voice declared.

Enough of victory he had scored. Enough of wealth he had won. But not anymore. He had to return sooner to protect his eldest, his Guru!

Because no amount of material reward could ever replace his duty to serve Yudhishthira!

***

Shivi

Honourable Sindhu Yuvaraj,

Devika's hand stopped for a while, to address that evil person as honourable. But she knew she could not step back now. This was a challenge that she had taken to save herself. And she had to do this!

"Come on, Devi! You are Krishna's sister, Krishna's shishyaa! You have to learn how to be deplomatic at times, for the sake of greater good!" She repeated to herself.

You owe my heartfelt gratitude for asking for my hand in marriage. Shivi is honoured, we Shaivyas are honoured. But I want to request you something, and I sincerely hope that you would honour that.

Yuvaraj, I think you too would agree that, for a kshatriya, swayamvara vivaha is the most respectful. So I would be more proud of my husband if he wins me in my swayamvara, among all of the others whom I would reject. It would be a glorious moment for him too, to win my hand in front of the entire kshatriya community. Hence, this is my request to you, please wait for my swayamvara to be arranged by my father!

Devika reread what she had written, and smiled to herself. She could imagine herself garlanding Yudhishthira in front of Jayadratha and the latter was burning in wrath, but was unable to do anything!

She continued writing again:

And, before that, I also want to complete my education in both scriptures and warfare so that I can serve your kingdom better as a Yuvarani and in future, as a queen. Hope you will consider my request and will wait for me, till I am prepared to become an honour of the illustrious Sindhu household.

Sincerely,
Shaivyaa Devika

She closed the letter and turned to her most trusted Sakhi.

"Make sure that no one comes to know about this, Ratna!" She warned, handing over the scroll to her.

"Worry not, Rajkumari! I will assure that." Ratnavali said, "but do you really think this will work?"

Devika remained silent for a while.

"If this does not work, we have to think for an alternative. But I will never give up so easily! Krishna's shishyaa that I am, Ratna!" Confidence flashed in her doe eyes.

***

Hastinapura

"Jyeshtha!"

Yudhishthira turned around, surprised to see Arjuna.

"You returned so soon? That too without any message?" He exclaimed, "is everything alright?"

"First tell me that you are alright!" Arjuna anxiously said.

"Definitely I am! But why are you..."

Yudhishthira could not finish. Arjuna threw his arms around his neck, trying to hide his tears.

"Phalguna!" Yudhishthira caressed his back, "what happened, child?"

Arjuna shook his head, sobbing hard. "Nothing."

"Do you think you can hide your pain from me, Phalguna?" Yudhishthira said, "tell me, what is it?"

"Jyeshtha, I have had a very scary dream! I...I thought your life was at threat!" Arjuna managed to utter.

"Oh! This is why you have come running, leaving your aim of digvijaya? Just because of a mere dream?" Yudhishthira shook his head fondly.

"It was not a mere dream, Jyeshtha!" Arjuna was still tensed, "it felt like an indication! An omen, as if something dangarous is going to happen very soon!"

"Even if it is so, I have no fear as long as I have Dharma with me, along with you four!" The eldest Pandava smiled, ruffling Arjuna's hair, "does any power of universe have the ability to harm me while the greatest archer of Aryavarta stands as my shield?"

"But danger always does not come on a battlefield, Jyeshtha! How can I forget how Bhrata Bhima was poisoned in childhood? What if something like that happens again?" Arjuna paused for a while and then added, "I have taken an oath, Jyeshtha!"

"What oath?"

"From now on, anyone who hurts my Jyeshtha by any means, would be beheaded by me!" Anger flashed in his eyes as his fists curled in determination.

Yudhishthira knew this Arjuna. He was too much loving, caring, and humble. But he could be this furious for his loved ones, too.

"Even if the person does not have any bad intention, brother? Would you punish someone without judging both the sides?" Yudhishthira patted Arjuna's cheek gently, "Arjuna, punishment should not be given by emotion but by logic. Remember, the one you will punish is someone's brother too!"

Arjuna listened quietly.

"I'm not asking you to break your oath." Yudhishthira continued, "but give me this promise that you will never ever punish anyone without my permission!"

Arjuna looked up to his Guru, and nodded in assent. Smiling, Yudhishthira drew him in his tight embrace.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Note: I know everyone is waiting for lakshagriha track. It will come soon, hopefully after one more chapter or two. I'm just trying to set up the pre-lakshagriha problems in both sides so that the complications after it become easier to connect with.