KrishnaSakhi Krishnaa

Dwaraka

Devika's sword was locked against that of senapati Kritavarma for a while. She stepped away to get space, while looking at her opponent's eyes to read his next move.

This senapati of Dwaraka was someone Devika never liked to practice with. Some weird feeling used to creep over her just by looking at him. As if he had something in him that could hurt her, someday! She knew about Kritavarma's active involvement in the recent conflicts among Yadavas regarding Syamantak Mani which made her detest this person even more.

Krishna had not yet returned from Kampilya. Balarama had been busy with political issues since morning. Hence, Kritavarma was given the charge of training all the trainees waiting in armoury.

Kritavarma withdrew his sword quickly and hurled it at Devika. She had guessed it correct! Her reply came faster than she had even imagined. As her sword clanged against Kritavarma's, the latter increased the force to disarm her. Realizing his intention, Devika withdrew her weapon and stepped back. She covered the space between them by circling her opponent. And then finding him being caught in unawares for a moment she hurled her weapon unexpectedly that made Kritavarma's sword fall off.

"Well done, Devi!"

Balarama's appreciating voice made them turn to Him. He came closer and placed His palm on Devika's head, "I am proud of you, sister!"

"Your and Bhrata's lessons only, Dau!" Devika humbly said, "What am I without your blessings, Gurudeva?"

Balarama smiled and dismissed Kritavarma and all the other trainees. Devika realized that He wanted to tell her something. She noticed a scroll in His hand.

"Dau, has Bhrata sent any message?"

"No. This letter is from Hastinapura."

"Hastinapura?" Her eyebrows met. What could have happened there again?

"Yuvaraj Duryodhana has won the swayamvara of Kashi princess." Said Balarama, "We are invited to attend his wedding on the next week."

"Yuvaraj.... Duryodhana?" She uttered with some effort. Her heart broke to take that name along with the honourable title of crown prince that she had worshiped so far. How much love she had poured into that address of Yuvaraj whenever she talked with him! That envious, arrogant prince had snatched it too from him?

"When did his coronation take place?" Devika narrowed her eyes, hiding the anger that was taking over her. 

"Last month." Balarama replied.

"We never got to know! Neither were you invited in the coronation!" Devika snapped, "Why such secret coronation? Did they fear that if Bhrata Krishna is invited He might stop it?"

"Calm, sister, calm!" Balarama smiled, "We did get to know. Krishna had to visit Kampilya soon and I had to look after the issues here, so we could not attend."

Devika did not speak. But her delicate doe eyes had turned red which no one had seen before. She was now fully convinced that Pandavas were alive. She had received a lot of divine indications assuring her about their existence. Now this news felt like another new problem for which she was never prepared. What would happen now, after Pandavas' return? Would he have to lose his crown too now? Devika felt both worried and protective.

"Do not get emotional, Devi!" Balarama patted her cheeks, "Think like a princess! What else a kingdom could do in the absence of its crown prince?"

"It is the reverse way, Dau!" She gritted her jaw, "They had to ensure that the crown prince remains absent so that Duryodhana can be coronated!"

"Devi, listen..."