Her Withered Garland

Shivi

Shivi

Devika woke up sweating even in this cold of month Pausha. Her sleep had not been peaceful since a couple of days. The spies of Shivi had brought nothing new from Kampilya yet. Devika was aware of the huge distance between the two kingdoms that would make a message reach late here. Her restlessness was at its peak, knowing that even if Yudhishthira was in some trouble, she was not even going to know that any soon.

Absent-minded, she rose from her ornate bed and picked up a fresh uttariya to wrap around herself, not even noticing which colour it was. Her long tresses fell under her knees. Quickly pulling them into a messy bun, Devika stepped ahead.

"Rajkumari!" Her sairindhri called out. "Your braid... I have strung this garland of your favourite jasmine..."

"Not feeling like, Sairindhri!" Devika shook her head and left. There was a noise outside her chamber. A chorus of several female voices that drew her attention.

"By Rudra, how did this happen?" Devika heard one of her maids scream.

"Hey Narayana! I can't even believe this!" Said another one, slapping her forehead. Devika frowned at their over dramatic way of chattering. Seemed like they had assembled here to gossip about something. Knowing her maids well, Devika knew that it had nothing to do with anything important but only unnecessary criticism.

"Would anybody tell me what's going on here?" The Princess asked with a calculated measure of displeasure in her usually calm voice. Her grave presence was enough to break the assembly. The maids bit their tongues for talking so loudly near the Princess's bed chamber. Soon they went back to their respective works.

Devika's eyes searched for Ratnavali as she walked along the long corridor that extended her bed chamber. It was quite unusual that her dear Sakhi had not been there for her at this time. Devika remembered that she had instructed Ratnavali to gather news from the spies as soon as they returned. Was it then...

"Hail the Princess!"

Devika looked in front. Prabhudutta, the chief spy of Shivi was bowing to her.

"What's the news from Panchala?" Devika anxiously asked. Prabhudutta's facial expressions spoke of something exciting.

"Rajkumari, the Pandavas are alive!" He gasped in excitement.

Devika exhaled, thanking all Gods under her breath. So they had finally revealed their identity in public!

"What? How could it be..." Devika struggled to do a perfect acting of being surprised. "How did you know that?"

"I'm telling the truth only, my Princess!" The spy nodded with an emphasis. "The Brahmin family who has won the swayamvara, have introduced themselves as the sons of Pandu to King Drupada. And the Lord of Panchala has accepted this marital alliance with them."