Book 1~Chapter 14~Leaving Things Behind

When we were back in the safe zone it was time to lay down and sleep a little. Zac and I lied besides each other and I noticed him turning nervously.
"What is it?"I asked.
He looked at me and took a moment to get himself together.
"Seeing the house like that.. it made me realize there's no coming back from this. I thought one day we'll just move back into the house and life will be normal.. but now it's nothing more than ashes."he explained.
"I'm sorry.. "
"You don't have to be.. I'm glad I realized it now instead of the moment the war is over actually."he said while I was playing with his fingers.
"When this is all over.. maybe we can build a new home.. together.."I said.
"Our home... that would be great.."he said and both our imaginations ran wild.
We talked for hours about what the house should look like, what we need, what we didn't need but want to have. And at some point we were tired enough to just fall asleep. Zac was holding me close in his arms and to the sound of his calm breath I finally fell asleep.

When everyone was awake we needed to talk. The safe zone is full and there's so many more people out there.
"Bringing more people would just make things worse. People would start fighting in here."the President said.
"What is your army doing? I mean, I never saw any of them here."dad asked.
"I told them to concentrate on fighting."he answered.
"Could they put together another safe zone?"Roger asked.
"With what? We don't have anything anymore."
Silence.
"So, we'll have to fight.. who exactly is it we need to defeat?" I asked.
"Since Dracos is already dead.. we need to find Sirius."Dad said.
"Wait.. Dracos is dead?"Roger asked.
"What happened?"Mikos asked.
"He tried to get inbetween me and Dad.."my voice cracked and just like that I was shaking and crying. Zac took me in his arms.
"You.. you killed Dracos?"Uncle Roger asked.
I couldn't answer.
"Sigma?"he looked towards my father.
"I still don't know why it happened..."he said.
He seemed defeated by it. I think it scares him, that he can't explain it to me.
I got myself together and said: "We don't have time for this now.. we need to find Sirius and find out what exactly it is he wants.. and if we have to.. kill him.."I said. I usually wasn't the one saying these things out loud.
"I think he's in the Capitol."Dad said. And so we made a plan.

When we left, we were connected via little thingies that we put into our ears and little tiny microphones that we attached onto our bodysuits.
"You sure, you don't want to come with me? Sage could go with Zac."Dad came up to me, while I was putting my knives and gun on me.
"I'll be fine, Dad. We'll all be back together within the Capitol. I know whenever I need you, you'll be there and I'll be there for you."
We hugged.
"You're right..."I heard his voice shake.
"Don't you dare cry now."I looked up at him.
"I won't.." he smiled down at me but I saw his eyes shining with tears.

And so we scattered to round up the Capitol.
Dad with the President, Roger and Tom, Sage and Mikos and Zac and I.
The actual battle was audible far far away, which made me ask myself if Sirius might not be around here. We walked through the ashes, dead bodies inbetween.
I looked over at Zac. "You ok?"I asked.
"It'll take years to come back from this."he said.
"But you will come back.. I know it.." I said walking up to him and taking his hands.
"What if we don't?"
"That's no way to think right now.. you can't lose hope now, ok? "I said stroking my thumbs over his cheeks.
I get that he's starting to lose hope, but it'll only weaken him and we need him strong.
"Let's go."I said and we went on towards the Capitol.

Once in front of it I contacted my father.
"Dad? We're in the front now. Where's everyone else?"I said while we took cover.
"All in position. Let's get in there."Dad answered and we found our way in. In one of the corridors we all met up.
"What a fun little get together, now what?"Roger asked.
"A little more seriousness would help, brother. We need to search the house, every room, every corner."Dad explained.
"Ava.. there could still be vampires here..."he turned towards me. I knew they were out for me after I killed Dracos.
"And I will face them in whatever way I need to."I said while looking deep into his eyes.
"And I will be by her side through all of it."Zac came to stand next to me and took my hand. Dad nodded at us and once again, we scattered.