Chapter 6: Asking for Answers

Chapter 6.

Asking for Answers

As I heard my parents drifting into a deep sleep state, I got ready to fly to Sam's house. My cat was sound asleep on the foot of my bed and he was snoring softly. It was pretty cold out with the wind blowing through the trees, so I went in my walk-in closet and grabbed my light jacket that I had gotten for Christmas last year. I could hear that his mom was asleep, silently breathing, so I messaged him saying that I was leaving. To make sure that my parents did not know that I left, Luna created a decoy image that laid on my bed just in case my parents wanted to check in on me. Apparently, my cat did not mind. He still slept there, thinking that it was me who was sleeping on the bed with him.

I lightly stroked his head, letting the thin hairs of his soft, glossy fur slip through my fingertips and rubbed the side of his face, planting a soft kiss on the top of his head. He grunted and groaned gently, yawning in the process. He began to bury his head between his paws that were stretched out in front of him. Slowly running the back of my index finger along his paws, I smiled. "Get some sleep, my baby kitty. I will be back later tonight." I said to him softly as I walked away from the foot of the bed, heading for my window. His gentle snores rose up from the bed.

The latch of my window was already unlocked, so I carefully opened the window, hoping that my parents would not wake to the light squeaking sound. I needed to remember to grease up the hinges so that my window would not get me into trouble one day when I sneak out. The wood of the window lightly pricked my fingers as they slid across the dried, crippled wood. I balanced myself on the thin ledge, jumped out my window, and phased about three feet before my head would have touched the wilted grass.

The brisk air blew through my hair and lightly waved my clothes away from my scale-covered body. As I flew across the sky, the wind started to pick up and it became colder and colder than before I left my house. It was not as cold to me with the help of my thick scales that surrounded my body, but chilly, nonetheless. The nightly scent of water and pine grew stronger once I flew closer to the ground to where I could almost touch it with the tips of my fingers. It was a calming scent that fell upon the frozen ground once the sun had set behind the mountains. Once I turned another corner that neared his street, I dropped to the ground away from the prying alert rays of the streetlights that were posted at every stop sign. I phased back to human before I kept walking towards my destination. The neighborhood was so silent that the dead would be woken up with the slightest sound.

I crept across the street to his house watching the windows of the houses that I passed by. Each of the visible windows were darkened with the lack of light from inside and covered with drapery while the panels outside of the house were lightly lit by the faint glisten of the moon that shimmered behind the thin clouds. I began to avoid the light that came from the lampposts as I moved closer to his house. I moved quietly so as to not awaken the sleeping dogs that lived a few doors down the block. Once I got close to his house, it became a mild challenge for me. The houses that were on either side of his were brightly lit with the porch lights. I sighed and looked around. Lowering myself to the ground, I began to use the several trees for coverage as I made my way to the fence that surrounded his three-story home.

I climbed the thick, wooden fence into the backyard, dropping to the ground softly and quietly without trying to alarm his light sleeping neighbors. I could hear as many of them were turning under the covers, trying to get comfortable. Once I walked across the barren lawn of the yard, avoiding the river rock that bordered the grass, then climbed the gutter up to the second floor, and eventually the next gutter to the third floor. Gaining my balance, I stopped in my tracks with each of the light sounds that the gutter made, hoping everyone would think that it was the wind. Once I got a grip on the roof, I pulled myself up, and began walking over to the window that had a light shining through the glass. Once I got to his window, I caught my breath, and sat there for a moment or two before gaining his attention. I then knocked quietly on the glass. He jumped up off his laptop and ran to the window. He opened it and I crawled under the little space. He shivered at the chilled breeze as he was shirtless. While he turned to his closet to retrieve a shirt, I closed the window and walked over to his bed and sat down.