Chapter 16: Going Back to School

Chapter 16.

Going Back to School.

It has been almost a full week since the incident at school, but to be honest, Sam helped me get over it. I knew that he saw that I took off my necklace. He kept saying that it was not my fault for what I had done. In the end, I was convinced that it was the only solution. Jason really did give me no choice. He could have made me sound like a terrorist and that would be the end of my sort of normal life. It would have come as quite a shock if I hadn't killed Jason. Well, to me anyway. I knew that I was going to be hard to face school again since I would feel and hear everything that had happened. At least I still had Sam helping me out since it was going to be hard on the both of us. We both clearly had the bruises to prove what Jason had done to us. Sam's black eye is almost completely gone but his ribs still need time to heal. On the other hand, my shoulder blades and spine are still sore, but the color has faded. I keep blaming that on the fact that I was with him.

Sam has been very supportive and helpful throughout this entire ordeal. I don't think that I would have gotten through it if he wasn't in my corner. Every night, I would visit him at his house, sleeping by his side to calm my nerves since they were not fully relaxed. I would talk about what I did, and he would help me through it by finding an explanation as to what might have gone wrong if I had not gone through with my plan. He cares about my well-being. Not a lot of people do. Sleeping by his side was beneficial for the both of us. I would never fall asleep in my room back home because of how anxious I would get. Sam's voice, touch and heartbeat always soothed my negative thoughts and fears. I would leave his place in the morning so that I could be at my place in case one of the parents came in to check on me. Luna says that they do that quite often which was starting to bug the hell out of me.

I woke up on Monday morning, feeling somewhat calmer than I usually was. The shower helped as well as the warm coffee for breakfast. I walked out to my car that was parked in the garage with my keys in one hand and the coffee cup in the other. Opening the door, I placed my cup in the holder and through my bag in the back seat before climbing into the seat. I closed the door and started the car, hearing the sound of the engine roar made me smile as I have not heard that sound in a while since I have been flying everywhere for the past week. I placed my phone in the cup holder next to my mug and backed out into the driveway when my phone buzzed. After I was out in the street and the garage was closed, I kept my foot on the brake and picked up my phone. Tapping the messaging app, I had a missed message and it was a text from Sam.

Before leaving the neighborhood, I read his text making sure that there was no one around me that needed to get through. Hey. My car is not starting. Probably because of the cold. Can I have a ride if you are not already at school? I smiled at his text. I could tell that he was not lying. It warmed my heart as the blood flowed out of my cheeks. Sure. Be there in five. I texted back to him. Once the screen was black out, I placed the phone back in the cup holder and drove out of the neighborhood. It was extremely cloudy, and it was chilly. Well, not to me, but it was only twenty degrees outside. My car was warm but then again anything above fifty degrees felt warm to me. The main road that led to his house was mildly crowded as it began filling with buses, and a lot of cars. I still had plenty of time to pick him up and get to the school on time.

Turning into his neighborhood, it was empty. Cars that would normally line the streets were gone and houses looked empty of people too. It was getting close to the hour in which the shifts for work started and the classes within school were close to starting. I loved how quiet that it was near his place. Around mine, there would always be dogs barking and people shouting at each other. And don't get me started on all of the honking horns. When I had gotten to his house, he was sitting in a chair on the porch with his bag on the cement and his phone in his hand. When I pulled up at the end of the driveway, he jumped off of the seat of the chair and ran towards the passenger side. He looked a bit cold due to the frigid air. I smiled as my foot was on the brake and putting the car in park.