Chapter Seven

One Year Later

Justin and I were close to being together for two years. It was the day of my high school graduation and he wasn't answering his cell phone. My parents had rented Justin and I a hotel room by the beach for after the ceremony. Sam and Alex had flown in for my graduation and to spend the summer here. Sam had barely talked to me since I told him about Justin and I. He only called me a few times every year since. It confused me because he knew how much I loved Justin, and he told me that he was happy for me. Justin was supposed to drive me to the ceremony to meet up with my family, but he wasn't answering his phone. I had gone over to his house and he wasn't there either. His parents were both at work. Justin had graduated a week before from college. He was leaving for basic training a month after I graduated high school, so we planned to spend as much time together as we could. As I was walking back to my house Justin flew into my driveway. He had gone so fast that when he stopped his brakes squealed. I got into the passenger seat and just buckled my seat belt. Without saying anything he reversed and made his way to the high school. As we passed Sam's house he was holding ice up to his eye. He should've been at the school waiting with my parents. My stomach dropped to my feet. I looked over at Justin's hands. His right hand was red and bloody.

"Justin please tell me you didn't do what I think you did." I said reaching for his hand. He ripped it away from me before I could touch it.

"Just don't worry about it, okay?" He said without looking at me. I was getting mad. First he was late to picking me up, then he showed up with his hand all bloody.

"No, Justin I am worrying about it. What happened?" I was mad. I couldn't have him and Sam fighting on the day of my graduation.

"Sam and I got into a fight. He said something that pissed me off. And I said things I'm not too proud of. Okay? Now please just focus on you graduating." He said looking at me, I could see his eye already bruising. I sighed and just looked out the window. I couldn't believe this had to happen today. I didn't say anything to him the rest of the ride. Once he pulled up at the school I got out and went to meet Michelle. I wasn't going to allow Justin and Sam ruin my graduation.

"Are you ready to be done with this hell hole?" Michelle said when I met up with her. She looked gorgeous as always. She had done simple natural looking makeup and had curled her hair, wearing it half up and half down. I had chosen to just wear my hair natural and braid half of it back so it didn't get in my face. I let Michelle do my makeup earlier that morning after rehearsal.

"I am more than ready. Then on to college." She pulled me into a hug. 

"Hell yeah on to college. Where we'll be roomies." I hugged her back, we were being instructed to get into our assigned lines based on alphabetical order. The rest of the ceremony went by in a blur. I remember hearing my name called, walking across the stage and posing for pictures. I remember Michelle being called as well. Then I was with my brother and my parents. Justin was off to the side, he knew I was angry with him. Alex pulled me into a bear hug.

"I am so proud of you, Katie. You're gonna do great things, college is the best time of your life." He said kissing my cheek. My parents hugged me and gave me a beautiful bouquet of flowers. My mom kissed my cheek and told me she was so proud of me. My dad even pulled me into a hug. After we talked for a while I went off with Justin to go to the hotel. While walking to the car we ran into Michelle. I hugged her.

"We did it, Mich! I'll see you soon okay?" I told her as she hugged me. She must have sensed the tension between Justin and I because before pulling away she whispered to call her. 

When I got in Justin's car he just sat there. He turned to look at me.

"Listen, I'm sorry okay? I went over to see Sam and ask if he wanted to ride with me. He kept telling me that he was in love with you and needed to tell you. I got mad because you're with me. He kept saying it was only a matter of time that I hurt you and he was waiting to hurt me when it happened. I lost it and I shouldn't have. I'm sorry I ruined your day. I'm just sorry." He looked upset, but I wasn't ready to talk to him.

"Let's just get to the hotel already. I need to change and shower." I said buckling my seat belt. He just looked at me for a few more seconds and then started the car.

When we got to the hotel room, I grabbed my bag that I had given to him the night before and took it into the bathroom with me. The bag had my phone in it. I pulled it out and looked at my messages. Sam had messaged me twice.

I love you, Katie.

I'm sorry. Congrats on graduating.

Why did they have to wait until the day of my graduation to be stupid like this? Why did Sam have to all of a sudden confess his feelings for me to Justin of all people. He knew I never felt that way about him. He knew how happy I was with Justin. Wait he didn't, because he never talked to me anymore. I'd tried calling him hundreds of times. I put my phone back in my bag and started the shower. My body was suddenly sore and exhausted. I barely slept the night before due to the excitement of graduation and having the night alone with Justin. I had barely seen Justin since his graduation because he was busy getting prepared to ship out for basic. I was mad Justin and Sam had to ruin my good mood. I showered with the water as hot as it would go. When I got out my skin was red. I washed my makeup off in the sink. I looked in my overnight back and saw the special outfit I bought for tonight, instead I grabbed one of Justin's shirts that I'd stolen and slipped that on. After brushing my teeth I left the bathroom and went to bed. Justin was waiting for me, but I had nothing to say to him. Once I laid on the bed I let myself fall asleep. I felt Justin kiss my head and cover me up.

He must have showered too and gotten back in bed, because when I woke up in the middle of the night he was asleep next to me. I slid closer to him, kissing the back of his neck. He stirred and rolled to face me. I kissed his lips and he pulled me against his chest kissing me harder. I wound my hands into his hair and he laid on top of me. I pulled his shirt off running my fingers over his chest. I sat up and let him pull my shirt off. We'd kissed and made love many times after our first time, but it never felt this passionate before. He pulled his sweatpants off and laid back on top of me kissing me hard. He lifted his body and pressed himself into me. Once we were both finished he laid on my chest and I ran my hands through his hair.

"I really am sorry, Katie. I was stupid and acted on my anger." He said, looking at me. He looked hurt. 

"Justin, it's okay. I'm not the one you should be apologizing to. You need to talk to Sam. He is the one who deserves an apology. He's your friend." I said running my hand down his back. I hated that Sam and Justin couldn't get along because of me. They had been best friends at one point. I never meant to come between them. If Sam hated me, I'd deal with it, but I couldn't deal with Sam hating Justin.

"I know and I plan to talk to him. I'm just so sick of everyone thinking that I'm not good for you. It's been two years, haven't I proven that I have changed?" He said rolling to look at me. He truly looked hurt.

"Justin, I know that you've changed. Why does it matter what everyone else thinks? You once told me to stop caring what everyone thought and just be happy." I leaned forward and kissed his forehead.

"I don't know. It doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is you. I ruined your graduation and I'm sorry. I had this big romantic night planned for us." He said.

"It's okay, Justin. You didn't ruin anything. Let's just leave it in the past. You need to focus on fixing things with Sam. Let's go to sleep." I said rolling over after kissing Justin.

"Goodnight, Katie." He laid behind me, wrapping his arms around me.